1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

System Diagnostic Utility

Discussion in 'Games' started by chrisbeery, Nov 11, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. chrisbeery

chrisbeery Thread Starter

Is there a way to gauge a PC system's gaming ability?

Since video cards and add-on programs (Direct X, etc) are so fundamental to game play, if would be nice to have a utility that would give a yes or no on the question "Will this game work on my computer?"

Bottom line is I don't know if my PC is 3D, GL rendering or what anymore since video card evolution is non-stop. A utility program to scan the computer's capability would help.

3 year old PC:
    Pentium 3 533mz Katmai
    383 mb RDRAM
    32mb Nvidia geForce 4X AGP Graphics Card

2. RandyG

RandyG

That's actually built into Directx.

Go to Start, Run type in dxdiag and hit enter.

If that doesn't work, then do a search on your system for dxdiag and open it when you find it.

3. Stos

Stos

Also, you can go to http://www.3dmark.com/ its run by Madonion.com They have free and pay software that you can use to see how fast your graphics card is and maybe get a feel of the best settings to use. You can also compare your 'scores' to others with your same card to see if you're getting the performance you should be.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/103465

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice