1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

System Disc Missing

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by angelprude, Sep 26, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. angelprude

angelprude Thread Starter

Windows Vista machine stopped booting and is asking to install windows installtion disc.
    I don't have one.
    I do have Win2000 and XP (Which I prefer)
    I tried to install Ubuntu which someone recommended and it stops at the DOS prompt.

I don't like Vista Can anyone help
    Thanks

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Help you to like Vista? Help to install or boot one of those OSes?

3. angelprude

Thanks

How can you help?

4. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    I guess I can help by trying to get you to tell us what you want to do. What operating system do you want to install (you mentioned 4 in your 1st post)? Do you have a legitimate installation disk for it? Or, if it's Vista, do you have a Recovery partition or disks?

5. angelprude

I do not have a Vista disc. It's a newer Lenovo desktop. Did not come w/ OS
    I have legitimate XP and 2000
    Which do you recommend?
    The error is a (windows32 config system)

Thanks for the help

6. Classics

Classics

Do you have more then one Hard Disk? If so make sure the one with the operating system is above the other in the boot order.

If you don't have more then one Hard Disk it may be that the one you have might be corrupt, or dead. Does it show up on the POST screen, if yes, then Run a Sector Scan on it.

As for operating systems
    Windows XP is much better then 2000, go with that if you want to downgrade, however Vista isn't all bad, I love mine!

Hope this helps.

7. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    I too advise XP over 2k Pro. Much better chance that drivers exist. You may save yourself some time to see if the chipset and other drivers you need are available for XP before you install it.

Strange that the PC came w/o a Recovery partition. It's my understanding that Microsoft requires that a new PC with Windows includes some way to reinstall or "recover" Windows.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/753609

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice