system down

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

willowyang

Can't boot my computer. It shows:

Invalid system disk
replace the disk, and then press any key

But I don't have any disk in any drive.

OS is Win98

reboot & come back in on safe mode... go to help an select ASD ( automatic skip driver) see if you can follow thru on that.

Savvy :)

willowyang

I can't even get into safe mode. while I reboot pc, press the F8 key, can't get me into safe mode as before the problem happens.

Max19

Account Disabled
Are you familiar with this error, SavvyLady? It comes up IMMEDIATELY on boot. You can't go into Safe Mode.

I would suggest booting from a Win98 boot disk and run the sys command.

A:>sys c:

Other people might have suggestions as well. This command worked for me on more than one occasion.

Willowyang I was trying to think of something to help. Sorry that didn't work.

Savvy :)

willowyang

I can't access my C: drive through 98 boot disk.

A:>sys c:
Bad command or file name

Max19

Account Disabled
That doesn't mean you can't access the hard drive. Your boot disk might not have the sys command on it. To check to see if you can access the C: drive, type: c:
If you get a C:> prompt, type: dir
If you get a list of files, you can access the C: drive.

Does your boot disk create a RAM Drive? A standard Windows 98 boot disk does. Try switching to the RAM Drive letter. It might be D: or E:. It should say right before you get the prompt. Switch to the RAM Drive letter and try the sys c: command.

willowyang

yes, I can get C: dirve as you taught. but only can check the file list by typing C:dir , still can't back to windows. and also I found a lot of unreadable code on my C drive file list. my c dirve might be crashed, isn't it?

~Candy~

Retired Administrator
Hi willowyang, can you explain a bit more what you mean by unreadable code? Are there a bunch of happy faces or exclamation marks when you do a directory? Does the dir listing come up in a single column or is there garbage all over the screen?

willowyang

I use Ontrack Data Advisor(TM) v5.00 check my computerm, the Diagnostic Summary as below:

System Memory Test Result: Passed

Drive 1(ST34323A)
SMART Status Check Result: Passed
90-Second Test Result: Passed
File Structure Test Result: Failed
Complete Surface Scan Result: Passed

The detail of File Structure Test Result:

Partition 1(No Label) Result:
Extended Partition table I/O
error
Partition 2(No Label) Result: Critical Error(s)
14 Critical Structure Error(s)
627 Non-Critical Structure Error(s)

Error Summary
DIR Structures 14
Invaild DIR Entry 126
Orphaned Data Blocks 501

Is there any way I can get my files back? I didn't make any back up, but the files are very important for me. please help.

willowyang

I use Ontrack Data Advisor(TM) v5.00 check my computer, the Diagnostic Summary as below:

System Memory Test Result: Passed

Drive 1(ST34323A)
SMART Status Check Result: Passed
90-Second Test Result: Passed
File Structure Test Result: Failed
Complete Surface Scan Result: Passed

The detail of File Structure Test Result:

Partition 1(No Label) Result:
Extended Partition table I/O
error
Partition 2(No Label) Result: Critical Error(s)
14 Critical Structure Error(s)
627 Non-Critical Structure Error(s)

Error Summary
DIR Structures 14
Invaild DIR Entry 126
Orphaned Data Blocks 501

Is there any way I can get my files back? I didn't make any back up, but the files are very important for me. please help.

~Candy~

Retired Administrator
Well, I've only seen those smiley faces 3 times.......all 3 times the hard drive was dead.....how old is the drive, most have 3 year warranties.....as to getting the data off, there are some companies that may be able to do that, but usually charge quite a sum.....depends on how important the data is I guess. You can probably do a search on google for data recovery companies and get quite a few hits.....

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!