1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

"System failed due to CPU overclocking"

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by dwhee, Apr 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. dwhee

dwhee Thread Starter

Recently, my PC crashed while running a game, and I have been unable to boot it up since. It always fails during startup and gives the message, "system failed due to cpu overclocking" through the speakers. The monitor does not respond at all.

I have not overclocked my pc, so I don't really know how to approach the problem. Anyone have any thoughts?

2. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

I am going to assume you have an asus board. The very first thing I would do would be to clear RTC or cmos. Attempt a power ON. If it does not post, then swap in a known good power supply. This is a reasonably common problem with asus boards; ie failing ps causes the cpu overclocking msg.

If that does not fix the problem, post back and we can do some more troubleshooting.

3. dwhee

dwhee Thread Starter

I do have an ASUS board. It's a K8V deluxe. I unplugged the power supply for about 15 minutes and reset the CMOS. I plugged everything back in again and now instead of just not booting up it boots up fine until a bios screen where it says "CPU Fan Error", and "CMOS checksum error". I used to get the CPU fan error all the time, and was able to boot anyway. All of my fans are working fine. It then says to press F2 to load default values and continue, but my wireless keyboard is unresponsive and I don't have a wired one to plug in at the moment. At one point I was able to get it past the list of errors tough, and it still wasn't able to boot.

Is the problem most likely a failing PSU? I don't currently have a known working power supply to test either.

4. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

1 Buy a standard ps2 keyboard. They are cheap and as you have seen for troubleshooting a wireless is useless.

2 Once you clear RTC, you need to load defaults AND make any bios changes you need.

3 I would suspect in this order; power supply then the motherboard. That is a pretty old board and it may be near the end of its service.

5. dwhee

dwhee Thread Starter

Ok, so after finding a PS2 keyboard, I was able to get a little further in the BIOS screens. When I click past the error messageabout CMOS by pressing f2, the screen goes black without booting Windows. After that, I have to clear CMOS by moving the jumper on the motherboard before the computer will even display the error messages. This happens regardless of whether I boot in safe mode, normal mode, or the last known good configuration.

I know it would more valuable if I figured out if my psu and mobo are actually working and whatnot, but does this help anyone troubleshoot the issue?

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/700107

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice