1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

System Failure Windows 7

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by ncfish, Jan 20, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ncfish

ncfish Thread Starter

Sorry if I posted this in the wrong forum, i just found a similar post to mine here so feel free to move it!
    I bought a Sony Vaio PCG-61A11L about eight months ago (in May). I had no trouble with it up until about November when it was running unreasonably slow for no reason. I ran Virus Scans (MalwareBytes on various occasions) and no viruses were found and i deleted all unnecessary programs (i kept all original programs that came with the laptop). I finally fixed the freezing and slowing down problem by switching browsers from Firefox to Chrome. Everything ran smoothly up until Friday when my computer froze while i was skyping with a friend. I shut down the computer and when it turned back on an error message came up saying that windows failed to start and that i could either start windows normally or run a repair. I chose the start windows normally option and it went back to the same screen. So i tried to run a repair and it either gets stuck on the blue screen saver the whole time (i've left it up for about nine hours before i turned the computer off) or get's stuck on a box that says searching for problems with a blue bar running across it (i've left that on for about 18 hours before i realized it probably wasn't going to do anything). I am assuming it's a hard drive problem because when i went to go get my files of my computer by using Vaio Care Recovery, no files could be found. I am just frustrated because i haven't even had this computer for a year and i'm not sure what could go wrong in such a short period of time. I've looked on other forums to see how to fix my problem and everyone was saying that i should repair by using the windows 7 disk, however my laptop didn't come with one and I do not have the money or means of transportation to go out and buy one. I do however have a Windows Vista CD that i got with an old dell laptop. Is it possible that I could use that to fix it? or should i just abandon all hope and save up to buy a new hard drive?

Also I did not buy a warranty with this computer

2. Lance1

Lance1

Hello ncfish and Welcome to TSG.

The DELL Community has posted Microsoft Windows 7 Official .iso Download Links (Digital River) These ISO's can be used on non-OEM systems and are not a product of DELL. Select the version of Windows 7 that is specific to your system whether 32 bit or 64 bit, Home Premium, Professional or ultimate.

Note: these .iso files may be used with a Dell/non-Dell OEM product Key but phone activation to Microsoft is required.

3. reticentAJ

reticentAJ

First Name:
    AJ
    To check the hard drive, go to start icon in lower left hand corner. In the search bar, type command prompt. When it shows up, right click it and select run as administrator. The UAC should pop up, just click continue. In the black screen, type chkdsk /r. Then, you will need to type "y" without the quotes and click enter. What you are saying is yes for the computer to restart. Chkdsk is a utility that checks the hard drive for errors and the /r will attempt to fix any problems it detects. After you type y and click enter, your computer will reboot. The check cannot happen since the drive is in use, and that is why it has to restart. The scan will be performed before it boots back up. You should look at the results and see what it says.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1086134

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice