1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

System File Checker

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Tabvla, Jan 30, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Tabvla

Tabvla Thread Starter

I run sfc /scannow from the "Run" dialog box.

When I press OK a command prompt dialog window flashes on the screen for less than a half second.

Is there some switch that I can add to the sfc command that will pause this window so that I can read the information? Alternatively is this information stored somewhere in Event Viewer? (I have not been able to find it).

TiA

2. bonk

bonk Banned

Are you saying that it doesn't run when you type sfc /scannow and click OK?

Have you run a disk check

Run a Disk Check click start then Run type cmd click OK

In the new window type chkdsk /r then press Enter

You will be given the option to run a Check Disk on the next restart click Y and then
    press Enter.....

The next time the PC starts it will run the Scan...it may take awhile so please be patient....do not turn the PC off while it is scanning.

3. Tabvla

Tabvla Thread Starter

Hi bonk, thanks for the reply.

Disk check runs without any problems and the report is OK.

I am not sure if sfc is running or not. I have not seen this behaviour before. The command prompt window flashes so quickly that it is impossible to read the contents. After that nothing happens. If I check Processes in Task Manager the system is idle, so it is not as if it is running as a background process.

:confused:

4. bonk

bonk Banned

Understood.......

What reason are you trying to run sfc /scannow.....do you have any issues?

5. Tabvla

Tabvla Thread Starter

Hi bonk,

No issues. I have a maintenance schedule for all my systems. One of the items is to run sfc every 3 months on all machines.

Because I have not seen this behaviour before my assumption is that something is wrong.

We are all paranoid about security these days, and consequently a reasonable thought is that some malware is preventing sfc running or closing down the results window before the information can be read.

Utility programs like sfc should behave in exactly the same way every time. It only consists of a few lines of code with no adjustable parameters so there are no changeable variables.

Something is making sfc behave differently.

:confused:

6. bonk

bonk Banned

You could post a Hijack Log for a Expert to have a look.

Download Hijack This to your desktop
    • Extract Files
    • Open the file and click on the Hijack.exe
    • It will open and use the default path
    • Check do you wish an Icon
    • Click on Icon and choose "scan system and save a logfile" usually in notepad
    • Copy and Paste the logfile in your next post
    • Using Ctrl+A to copy All and Ctrl+C to copy and Ctrl+V to paste.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/539610

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice