1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

System File Checker

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by Lyn Patterson, Nov 23, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Lyn Patterson

Lyn Patterson Thread Starter

Having done a bit of uninstalling and installing lately, I ran SFC and it found many altered files. Most were obvious upgrades so I just clicked on the updated file bit.

Some, however, were rather odd and I just clicked 'ignore' until I could post here.

To what does the 'date' refer? I found sometimes that the previous version of a file was of a later date than the current version. Sometimes the version number was the same but the dates were different. Sometimes an earlier date had a later version number than the current file.

So what should I go by for the latest version : the latest file version number or the latest date?

If the version numbers are the same, do I go by the latest date?

Thanks.

Lyn

2. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

I would go by the version number. You can also get a clue as to whether the files are equivalent by checking their size. I've found these discrepancies (with respect to dates) between OEM installed files and ones on MS disks. But if the version and file sizes are the same, they are interchangeable.

You can check the DLL data base to see if the version you have is correct for the installed products on your system:

http://support.microsoft.com/servicedesks/fileversion/dllinfo.asp?fr=0&sd=msdn

3. Lyn Patterson

Thanks, Rollin' Rog - will go with the version numbers.

Lyn

4. WhitPhil

WhitPhil Gone but never forgotten Trusted Advisor

As a FYI, if you are in the habit of running SFC, a good practice is to run it before an install and ensure everything is fine. Then do the install, and run SFC again.
    In this manner, you can see the files affected by the install.

5. Lyn Patterson

Thanks, WhitPhil, that's an excellent tip - will remember to do that in future.

Lyn

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/59338

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice