1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

System File corrupt possible

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by Joeleis1, Sep 3, 2018.

Advertisement
  1. dckeks

dckeks

First Name:
    Darrin
    I apologize the code did not convert properly. All the /* should Be ignored.

The correct command for Chkdsk on your SSD drive is chkdsk c: /f

Let me know when this complete and I will help you with getting the results. You can also take picture and upload if easier.

2. Joeleis1

Joeleis1 Thread Starter

First Name:
    Keith
    Sorry about all the issues, i did put in the chkdsk command (Thanks by the way for all your help and correct chkdsk command) and info. showed or said Drive was NTFS and volumes in use by other process & option of to schedule scan upon next startup power up when computer starts & I Yes'd-it and then rebooted & then shutdown completely on other try, but it didn't seem to scan once powered back up.
    I took a snippit of the chkdsk without the SSD command and am including it to see if this fulfills info. etc...(?)
    BTW, i went on the Dell site to check for updates and check it out, there was no drivers to be updated. I mean after i kind of bellyached about that earlier (sorry about that) of consistent 2 drivers that i needed to update etc...but all clear. So...

Thanks!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 9, 2018
  3. dckeks

dckeks

First Name:
    Darrin
    Okay good. Chkdsk log looks good so no issues there. How is everything working now?

4. Joeleis1

Joeleis1 Thread Starter

First Name:
    Keith
    Pretty Good. Sound is normal, the DVD player is still not closing but maybe it's a faulty spring or it gave out (?) and the scannow scans, still indicate corruption in the components files. The drivers that i had problems with for a few months to install must be installed and "ok" because of the Dell site's clear across the updates. I had its Hardware test done while on site and there was no indication of anything wrong or trouble but before that test alerted that it couldn't complete the tests with media in the DVD player and that's when i noticed it was open (you know) but no Disc in it, etc...So, at this point, it could be to repair those corruption files in the CBS log as far as my concern and other thing is the long story short, where i purchased this computer, it was a friend who owns his own shop in Van Nuys (Calif. where i live) and he loaded the OS but didn't provide me a copy and i didn't want the Win. 10 he already had on computer so they reinstalled the win. 7 but he doesn't (now) have a licensed copy if i mentioned this all already (sorry) so, at this point, in order to most likely repair those corruption files, i would need repair disc or the same as Windows 7 installation OS disc to process that-do you think? I would like to find or if it resorts to that, obtaining a copy at a decent price w/of course product key that stays valid. Meanwhile, I'll see what you might have ideas about (?).

I was looking at the Component Svcs. of computer event and the copy of a critical event is shown ongoing and i wondered if you know much about those entries and it can get carrying away if getting too serious in reading those kinds of events that as I understand isn't normally too bad or of major concern but of critical ones, i was sort of doing research and of warnings-one seem to include Intel in all the event details, etc...anyway, just a screen shot i am showing of this one and it has to do with computer shutting off or not fully coming to close before the next command's entered or performed (?) just f.y.i.

Thanks*

Attached Files:

5. dckeks

dckeks

First Name:
    Darrin
    The error code you are seeing means "The kernel power event ID 41 error occurs when the computer is shut down, or it restarts unexpectedly." I went through all of your errors and indicated any that were significant.

Please perform these steps again.
    1. Click on Start menu
    2. Type command to start searching
    3. Right click on command prompt in list and select Run as Administrator
    4. Copy and Paste each the commands after the numbers below into the command prompt and press Enter key

1. sfc /scannow (best to run 2-3 times, rebooting after each time)

2. (Windows 8 or higher)
    dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth

If any Errors are found with sfc /scannow then:
    Copy and Paste the following command, and press ENTER:
    findstr /c:"[SR]" %windir%\Logs\CBS\CBS.log >"%userprofile%\Desktop\sfcdetails.txt"
    This will copy sfcdetails.txt to your desktop
    Upload sfcdetails.txt file

Download and run the following program to retrieve your Windows 7 key.
    https://www.belarc.com/products_belarc_advisor

Download a copy of Windows 7
    http://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/microsoft_windows_iso_download_tool.html

6. Joeleis1

Joeleis1 Thread Starter

First Name:
    Keith
    Hey Man! Thanks for all your work and giving (in general) I appreciate it! This is fantastic to learn the information about my own win. 7 etc...and it is legit and therefore, it would be just as having to purchase another copy-nada! I'll get going with what your next instructs. are as outlined above in the order given and input correctly. Thanks a lot!! Again*
    I'm in the process of downloading the Windows 7 and i chose COEM (is that a good choice) and also it's 2 hours and 3 mins. for the Dload, is that normal or for the downloading from the heidoc site(?).

Hey, and you know dck, I ultimately should have the download moved to USB flash drive, so, i should have probably had that all done ahead of time (?) and then the formatting or that is, the process in order to do that calls for burning it to the USB and that takes some preparation and software too. I was confused by the part of the download where i chose COEM over OEM or just plain SP1 and then it says choice of upgrade. When i hurried to find the difference between the oem/coem i believe one can be .... allowed to enable copying from or to more than one machine (and now that I think about it, i'm not sure if that's actually it....). Well, if i have to re-download for whatever reasons, I will be patient and just re-install if there's any problems or the like.
    Ok and in the meantime Take Care* I'll follow up after i get the windows 7 download in tact.

Thanks again*

Attached Files:

7. dckeks

dckeks

First Name:
    Darrin
    You need to make sure and download the same version that you have in order for your Key to work. Speed is usually pretty slow and will be dependent on your internet speed, etc.

I don't see any significant errors but we can try to repair once you have your Windows 7 media available.

8. Joeleis1

Joeleis1 Thread Starter

First Name:
    Keith
    Ok. WEll it just finished a few mins. ago and luckily i did select win 7 Pro Sp1 and that's what I have.
    Ya know, (what a trip) i didn't save it to the desktop nor to downloads folder or ususally i have kept files in downloads after i have installed and so, i pointed to the Win SSD folder to save it there, and ... it's almost like i don't find it because i forgot the name of it-even, i thought it was Win. 7 (according to the website from the Geek guy's in watching video he has.) Anyway, i'm sure it's in tact and ran the full course of the 2 hrs.3mns.
    BTW, i just re-read what you're saying from the scannow-cbs log resulting...and That's alright then! I mean another PLUS +oo (if as you say there's nothing too bad out of it that maybe the repair can be sought and i won't have to go to the full installation (?) but then i still get to have my backup Win 7! That I've been wanting that ever since i got this computer with what -- from year ago or now 1/2 year-more. Yeh, I forgot to mention or to ask about that and have just been going over all this that we've been working on on this and I appreciate it & can't express enough too-Buddy

I'll check back here 1st thing after i get home from work tomorrow night after 7 pm pacific time and thanks a million too. Too bad it's not a million for your time in all this *:) ya know it.

9. Joeleis1

Joeleis1 Thread Starter

First Name:
    Keith
    dckeks
    Hey what's up? I was just running another sfc scannow to see if any improvements and it remains the same but i can hopefully prepare the new windows 7 download to act in the capacity of repair disc as well (?)

10. dckeks

dckeks

First Name:
    Darrin
    I apologize For the delay. I have been tied up all day. I think I know how to fix your issue now but won’t be able to post until this evening or tomorrow.

11. Joeleis1

Joeleis1 Thread Starter

First Name:
    Keith
    Aye, no problem! I've not been on here myself and work's busy this past week and weekender, if you have time that's super and i'm idle till i see what your schedule or freed-up time can permit so, that's fine as far as whatever works and i'm glad to have discovered this website!
    Later*

12. Joeleis1

Joeleis1 Thread Starter

First Name:
    Keith
    I was looking at other info. on Microsoft's community site or forum or whatever about how to fix the scannow test's resulting corruption, etc..and using the system file checker tool as (i believe a windows update) i tried or downloaded and as far as I know, installed and the scannow test still show corruption files. Dell's site has a restoration process of setting windows 7 to a factory settings and takes out all the data, etc...so, that's 1 thing about repair/recovery they seem to offer. But i think i want to see without having to reinstall windows 7 what i might try as fix-first.

The Belarc advisor is pretty cool tool and prompt me to apply the latest windows updates BTW.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2018 at 2:28 PM
  13. dckeks

dckeks

First Name:
    Darrin
    I apologize for the delay. I think I know what might fix your issue now though. Please follow the guide below. Let me know if any questions.

We need to copy the autochk.exe file from the Windows 7 iso file or the USB/DVD you created and paste it into your current Windows folder to replace the existing file. You need to make sure that this is the exact same versions of Windows 7 you are currently running.

1. Go to c:\windows\system32
    2. Find autochk.exe file and rename to autochk.bak
    3. Either browse the Windows 7 USB/DVD or Extract the Windows 7 iso file using 7zip
    4. Browse to the same location windows\system32
    5. Find autochk.exe file
    6. Copy and paste this file to c:\windows\system32 folder
    7. Restart computer
    8. Run sfc /scannow

Let me know if it completes without errors now

14. dckeks

dckeks

First Name:
    Darrin
  15. Joeleis1

Joeleis1 Thread Starter

First Name:
    Keith
    Thanks Darrin,
    I downloaded the linked Windows 6.1 KB 975778 x64 standalone, and it alerted that this was not applicable to my computer. Hm
    I will try the other method you provided and thanks again!
    When attempting to change the name of the autochk folder to autochk.bak, (per the instructions) an alert flashes to indicate i don't have proper permissions of that particular folder and i will have to follow back up tomorrow to read up on how to perform that task and continue on from there.

Thanks* a LOT

Last edited: Sep 19, 2018 at 5:40 AM
As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1215879

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice