system file damaged...

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Aquarian3

Hi guys and gals,

My prob is a bit of a saga!

I defragged my Win XP Media PC a few days ago and then I noticed a clicking noise coming from the hard drive, I called PC servicecall (managed to find a freephone number!!!!) and the chap suggested I do a scandisk, he said to call back with the diagnosis later.

After the PC did two scandisks I managed to stop it when it was about to do a 3rd, I rebooted the PC and it loaded with no 'start' button or clock on the taskbar, so I rebooted. Then I got a message saying 'it can't load as a file was missing or corrupt windows/system32/configuration/system' it said to put in the original CD and type 'r' to repair.

Well the PC didn't come with any CD's and I only have one that I made after I'd had the PC for a month - a recovery disk.

So I called PC Servicecall back and told the guy what happened and I've got another harddrive arriving tomorrow - trouble is I need to get the info from my hard drive before I send it back to them.

I've looked at MS support site and there's options to do a manual repair (I'll copy and paste info here)
Method 1: Replace the SYSTEM Hive
Method 2: Restore the SYSTEM File from the SYSTEM.ALT Backup File
Method 3: Reduce the Size of the SYSTEM File
Method 4: Restore the SYSTEM Hive from Backup

Which all sound hunky dorey but I don't have any original bootable CD (the PC doesn't have a floppy drive), so I can't type 'r' to repair!!!!

In my possesion I do have an XP Pro CD, a Win2000 CD and a Win98 CD - my question is can I use these other CD's to try a 'repair' and get into the 'manual' area to try the methods above (the OS is Win Media Edition on the PC)?

Or is there a way I could copy a system file and replace it somehow????

I don't know how to work within DOS but I'm happy to give anything a go!

Thanks in advance :)

Lee
-X-
XX

You can take the drive out and temporarily attach it to a working PC ( with uptodate antivirus ) to copy off the files . . usually works best if you attach it to the secondary channel ( the one with CD/DVD drives )

I have the same problem and have tried this, the old hard drive is now on an external drive and I cannot browse the files because Windows say it is in raw format and ask if I want to format it, the drive is fine though, and it was in the NTFS file system last time it was bootable (until system files got corrupted) Any ideas how to regain my data?

XvEnOmX said:
I have the same problem and have tried this, the old hard drive is now on an external drive and I cannot browse the files because Windows say it is in raw format and ask if I want to format it, the drive is fine though, and it was in the NTFS file system last time it was bootable (until system files got corrupted) Any ideas how to regain my data?
So as to be fair to the poster here you need to start a new thread.

Try this . . Double Click on My Computer . . RIght click on the drive . . select Properties . . Tools . . in the Error Checking, click on Check Now . . put a check in both check disk options . . it will restart and check the drive for errors . . this might get back the ability to use the drive.

Edit: . . Rich is right . .this should be a new thread

If by chance you cannot acces the drive, put it in a Zip-lok bag for 2 hours in the freezer and then try it as a slave drive to another system. If you see it copy quickly as you won't have long.

Placing your HD in the freezer is not recommended... That may have used to work on old NES cartridges but it is certainly not within the operating temperature of your Hard Drive. I would suggest to you Acronis Disk Director, it comes with excellent recovery features, It helped restore my data :eek:

XvEnOmX said:
Placing your HD in the freezer is not recommended... That may have used to work on old NES cartridges but it is certainly not within the operating temperature of your Hard Drive. I would suggest to you Acronis Disk Director, it comes with excellent recovery features, It helped restore my data :eek:
Bologna, I do it when necessary where nothing else works, and it works most of the time for data recovery on a dead drive.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online