1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

System file not suitable....

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by KENNY, Feb 10, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. KENNY

KENNY Thread Starter

Every time I boot up I get a window with the message: " C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\AUTOEXEC.NT The system file is not suitable for running MS-DOS and Microsoft Windows applications,Choose "Close" to terminate the application."

I can't find AUTOEXEC.NT Obviously, I installed some old program, but I can't figure out what. How can I get rid of this ?

Running Windows XP Thanks

2. dai

dai

3. KENNY

KENNY Thread Starter

Thanks, dai......but it didn't work. I haven't been trying any visual tours, has to be something else.

4. dai

dai

5. KENNY

KENNY Thread Starter

Still no good. That download assumes that I know what program is causing the problem, and offers a fix to the program. I have no idea...... kenny

6. dai

dai

did you go through the resolution

7. Paladin-X

Paladin-X

Have you tried the fixes at all? It doesn't matter which program is causing the problem, either of those fixes provided by dai will usually fix the problem.

8. KENNY

KENNY Thread Starter

Tried the first fix.....didn't do anything. The second fix starts off with "install the CD "(from the offending program)....I have no idea what program is causing it.

9. dai

dai

10. Paladin-X

Paladin-X

Here's one way to deduce which program it is:

Go to Start => Run => Msconfig

On the General Tab, click Selective Startup, then uncheck Load Startup Items

Reboot the computer. If you're problem goes away, then go back into MSconfig and put a checkmark back on Load Startup Items. Click on the Startup Tab and deselect half the items on the list, then apply and reboot.

Go back to MSconfig

If the problem came back, uncheck half the items that are still checked on the startup tab. If the problem didn't come back, put checkmarks in half of the unchecked items. Apply and reboot.

Keep going through this process of checking half the items till you've narrowed it down to the one program. Once you've got it narrowed down, go uninstall it from add/remove programs. To put MS config back to the way it was, go to the general tab and select normal startup.

11. KENNY

KENNY Thread Starter

Thank you, Paladin...found it right away, it was my American Heritage dictionary. Now, I have another problem....It's not listed in my "add-remove programs"I don't know how to get rid of it !

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/329023

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice