1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

System File Protection on a jpg?????

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Nightfall, Jun 23, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Nightfall

Nightfall Thread Starter

Hi, My cat has given birth to 4 beautiful kittens. Woo-Hoo. :D

Obviously i have taken photos of the cute little critters and transfered them to a folder on my pc. :)

I used G6 Utilities to rename and enumerate all the pictures. When i look in the folder now there are several pictures missing. Fortunately i have found them. (y) Unfortunately i found them by showing Protected Operating System files. (n)

After googling for a while i have only managed to find out how to disable the File System Protection for all of Windows. Before i attempt this i would like to know if it will allow me to recover the pictures or if it is just better to delete them and take new ones.

Or does anyone know of another way to remove this protection? Any software that may help?

Thanks in advance.

2. moper

moper

This means that the files have the 'System' and 'Hidden' attribute set.
    It is not the same as "Windows File Protection".

Attributes can be removed at the command prompt with the 'attrib' command.

You didn't say what problems you have with the photos, other than seeing them. Can you open them, copy them, move them? Attributes shouldn't affect these operations.

moper

3. Nightfall

Nightfall Thread Starter

Hi moper

The files can be copied and moved (with the are you sure you want to move the system file 'filename' warning).

If double clicked, i'm asked what do i wish to open this file with. The files have no extension (i have unticked the hide extensions for known file types box) but if i manually add the .jpg i get a "no preview available" with Windows picture and fax viewer.

What format should the attrib command be in on the command prompt as i have never used that many dos commands?

Cheers for your time.

4. moper

moper

If they can't be opened, and had no file extension, it's possible there is something wrong with them other than just attributes.
    What is the size of the files that won't open? Are they approximatly the same as the other pics?
    After adding the .jpg extension(no spaces), try opening them with another viewer. Irfanview is a very good editor and viewer. It also does batch renaming.

I don't think changing attributes will help, but basically, here's what you do. Start, Run, and type 'cmd' in the box.(without quotes)
    First, you have to know the path to your pics. You navigate there using the 'cd' command. Once in the folder, attrib -s -h filename will remove the attributes.

Try Irfanview, and note the size of the bad files, first.

moper

5. Nightfall

Nightfall Thread Starter

Thanks moper.
    The files are similar sizes to the other pictures that are working.
    Opening with another app doesn't work either.

I removed the attributes but still got no joy. I'll just have to delete the files cos they are no use to me like they are.

Thanks for your time.

6. hewee

hewee

If you can view the pictures still then copy them.

I would use something like IrfanView.
    http://irfanview.tuwien.ac.at/

Then let it view all file types and look in the folder the images are in and then copy them. If that does not work then view and convert the images. Convert to a new folder so you know what ones are converted and you don't over write the ones you have.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/587477

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice