1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

System file(s) deleted by virus?

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by puddles55, May 6, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. puddles55

puddles55 Thread Starter

Hi,

We have a Dell Inspiron 6000, and it won't boot Windows XP, giving me the message system32\config\system is missing or corrupt. I've gone through a number of steps to recover, including using Windows XP startup disk to go into Recovery console, following MS knowledge base articles, running chkdsk, etc. What I've found out is that the "system" file from both windows\system32\config and from windows\repair is gone.

If these two files are gone, is there any way for me to recover and boot Windows XP? Without losing data?

Thanks for any help you can provide.

2. Megabite

Megabite

Is the XP a full disk....by that I mean can you do a repair install with it?

3. puddles55

puddles55 Thread Starter

Hi Megabite,

I believe it is a full disk. When Recovery Console started, I tried two things.

1) Using 'R', I tried to do a manual recovery.
    2) By pressing 'Enter', I tried to install XP, hoping it would ask me to repair an existing version. However, I don't get the option of repairing an existing version. It simply lists the partitions and asks me which one I want to install XP on. If I select c:\, it then warns me that it will overwrite an existing installation of XP. That is when I stop for fear that I will lose data.

Does this help?

Thanks....

4. Megabite

Megabite

You could first takeout the HDD and put it on another PC in an enclosure and see if you can get the data off......or if the HDD is a new sata then hooking it up to another PC as Secondary drive.

How many partions does the drive have and how big?

5. puddles55

puddles55 Thread Starter

Here is what I see:

-: Partition1 [FAT] - 55 MB (47 MB Free)
    C: Partition2 [NTFS] - 35001 MB (3401 MB free)
    E: Partition3 [FAT32] - 3091 MB (318 MB free)
    Unpartitioned Space - 8 MB

If you could, do you have any links that can walk me through the process of taking out HDD and put it on another PC as an enclosure or as a Secondary Drive? I've never done that previously.

Thanks.

6. Megabite

Megabite

7. puddles55

puddles55 Thread Starter

Thanks Megabite....but I don't think I was clear. I understand how to get the drive out of the Dell, but I don't understand how to add it as a secondary drive to another computer. My other computer is a Lenovo T60p and has Windows XP as well. Are you aware of any good articles which may explain this?

Thanks again for your help.

8. Megabite

Megabite

9. puddles55

puddles55 Thread Starter

Thank you Megabite.

10. Megabite

Megabite

Good-luck....

If you get the data off then I would install a fresh copy of XP on that drive

11. TheOutcaste

TheOutcaste

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/921415

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice