Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

System freeze accompanied by very short internal beep

2K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  kenny111111 
#1 ·
Greetings.

I've started having a problem in the last few weeks which seemed intermittent at first but now has become a frequent nuisance, and at one point I thought might have bricked my PC.

After a few hours of intensive graphical work in a 3D modelling application, he system froze (not completely, I could still navigate some windows) for about 20 seconds. This meant music stopped, and the application stopped responding. Then it seemed to regain its bearings and I carried on as normal.

I noticed however as this happened, there was a short wirring noise from either a fan or a disk, followed by a very short blip from the internal speaker. Not even as long as the standard 1-blip beep code you get when you switch on.

Anyway this happened maybe once a day after long usage. Until yesterday when the same thing happened in gaps of maybe 5 minutes, making carrying on working very difficult.

So I did a reboot, at which point the computer took ages to load up, and told me the registry was corrupt. I ignored that and tried again. It took a while but it booted up.... and everything went excruciatingly slow.

Just opening folders took 5 minutes, with the beeping sound happening everytime I did anything. I switched off and went to bed.

Today it seems ok. It's done it twice, after I tried to extract a huge rar file. So I'm running chckdsk and glary utilities today, maybe even a defrag, just incase it's the disk.

Anyway, that's the summary.

I'll try and dig out some more detailed specs if anyone needs them but for now:

Windows Vista
Nvidia gt 250
500gb hard drive (less than 3 gig free)
intel core 2 duo
Asus motherboard (not sure exact details)

Any help will be gratefully received :D

See less See more
Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.