1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

System Freezes... Cooling?

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by matt.choules, Sep 11, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. matt.choules

matt.choules Thread Starter

Hi,

I have been using my pc for about 2 years (and have been upgrading)... So, currently I have a 2ghz AMD XP Athalon CPU running windows 2000... I have 386mb RAM, fully updated drivers, 1x80mm system fan on the front of my case aswell as a bay cooler. On the back of the case i have an exhaust blower and cooling my CPU i have a tornado fan that is capable of cooling upto a 3ghz processor which is self regulated (from a temp sensor placed between the CPU and fan)...

My question is this:
    Why does my machine keep freezing??

I thought it was overheating before i fitted all the fans, but i obviously have enough cooling now, and my drivers should be the newest they can be (except for my graphics card driver, due to the fact that the newest driver causes picture problems).

Any suggestions welcomed (i am all out of ideas!)

Matt.

2. skyman

skyman

When you say freezing, what is it freezing in?

Have you run scandisk and dfrag?

Hve you run a repair of your Internet Explorer?

Do you have an antivirus program and have you updated your definitions and have you run an antivirus scan?

Do you have a spy catcher program such as Spybot?

Let us know...

3. matt.choules

Right, the whole system stops responding. No blue screen nothing... It usually happens when there is something draining the CPU (i.e. a movie or music with funky visuals), but sometimes i will wake up and its frozen when there is nothing more running than kazaa (and background programs i.e. Norton).

I'm then forced to restart (not even a crtl+alt+dlte).

I have run scandisk and dfrag'ed, i have antivirus software (with current updates) and am running spybot....

The only thing i didnt understand was how to repair internet explorer.

4. skyman

skyman

Go to Control Panel, add/remove programs and scroll down until you see Internet Explorer and click on it.

You will see three options and click on the one that says: repair IE"

Repair it and then reboot.

5. NiteHawk

NiteHawk

Go to http://tomcoyote.org/hjt/ and download HiJackThis. Use Winzip to ]u]unzip[/u] it, then install and run it. To run, click the “Scan” button. When it's done the "Scan" button changes to "Save Log". Save the log file it creates (it should open in Notepad at that point). Copy and paste the results in your next post. IF you happen to be using a proxy server, please mention it in your post. Most of what it finds is harmless, so do not do anything yet. Someone will be glad to help you sort out any of the baddies that may be in there.

6. matt.choules

Hey guys, first of all let me say a big thanks for the help your giving me.... I'll be sure to stay on this list and help as many people as i can (what you reap and all that...)

Firstly,
    I tried to repair IE, but after going to Add/Remove Programs and selecting IE there was no other option except to Change/Remove it....

I am not running through a proxy server...

Here are the results of the HiJackthis program's scans:

Logfile of HijackThis v1.97.2
    Scan saved at 14:42:49, on 12/09/2003
    Platform: Windows 2000 SP4 (WinNT 5.00.2195)
    MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP1 (6.00.2800.1106)

Running processes:
    C:\WINNT\System32\smss.exe
    C:\WINNT\system32\winlogon.exe
    C:\WINNT\system32\services.exe
    C:\WINNT\system32\lsass.exe
    C:\WINNT\system32\svchost.exe
    C:\WINNT\system32\spoolsv.exe
    C:\WINNT\System32\msdtc.exe
    F:\Norton\defwatch.exe
    F:\Dynu Systems\Basic\basicsvc.exe
    C:\WINNT\System32\svchost.exe
    C:\WINNT\System32\llssrv.exe
    F:\Norton\rtvscan.exe
    C:\WINNT\system32\regsvc.exe
    C:\WINNT\system32\MSTask.exe
    C:\WINNT\System32\tcpsvcs.exe
    C:\WINNT\system32\ZoneLabs\vsmon.exe
    C:\WINNT\System32\WBEM\WinMgmt.exe
    C:\WINNT\system32\Dfssvc.exe
    C:\WINNT\System32\inetsrv\inetinfo.exe
    C:\WINNT\system32\MsgSys.EXE
    C:\WINNT\System32\svchost.exe
    C:\WINNT\Explorer.EXE
    F:\Norton\vptray.exe
    C:\WINNT\system32\SK2690DM.EXE
    C:\Program Files\ATI Technologies\ATI Control Panel\atiptaxx.exe
    C:\WINNT\system32\internat.exe
    C:\WINNT\wt\updater\wcmdmgr.exe
    F:\Dynu Systems\Basic\DynuBas.exe
    F:\Zone Labs\ZoneAlarm\zonealarm.exe
    C:\WINNT\system32\taskmgr.exe
    F:\MICROS~1\Office\OUTLOOK.EXE
    C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe
    F:\Winamp\winamp.exe
    C:\unzipped\hijackthis\HijackThis.exe

O2 - BHO: (no name) - {06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3} - f:\adobe\Reader\Reader\ActiveX\AcroIEHelper.ocx
    O2 - BHO: (no name) - {53707962-6F74-2D53-2644-206D7942484F} - F:\Spybot\SDHelper.dll
    O3 - Toolbar: @msdxmLC.dll,[email protected],&Radio - {8E718888-423F-11D2-876E-00A0C9082467} - C:\WINNT\System32\msdxm.ocx
    O3 - Toolbar: (no name) - {46AE04C0-BCFA-4728-90E7-00EB4A8B3863} - (no file)
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [WinampAgent] "F:\Winamp\Winampa.exe"
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [vptray] F:\Norton\vptray.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Hot Key Kbd 2690 Daemon] SK2690DM.EXE
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [LoadQM] loadqm.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ATIPTA] C:\Program Files\ATI Technologies\ATI Control Panel\atiptaxx.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [wcmdmgr] C:\WINNT\wt\updater\wcmdmgrl.exe -launch
    O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [internat.exe] internat.exe
    O4 - Startup: taskmgr.lnk = C:\WINNT\system32\taskmgr.exe
    O4 - Global Startup: Adobe Gamma Loader.lnk = C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Calibration\Adobe Gamma Loader.exe
    O4 - Global Startup: Basic Client.lnk = F:\Dynu Systems\Basic\DynuBas.exe
    O4 - Global Startup: Microsoft Office.lnk = F:\Microsoft Office\Office\OSA9.EXE
    O4 - Global Startup: ZoneAlarm.lnk = F:\Zone Labs\ZoneAlarm\zonealarm.exe
    O8 - Extra context menu item: Download with GetRight - F:\GetRight\GRdownload.htm
    O8 - Extra context menu item: Open with GetRight Browser - F:\GetRight\GRbrowse.htm
    O9 - Extra button: Related (HKLM)
    O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Show &Related Links (HKLM)
    O9 - Extra button: Yahoo! Messenger (HKLM)
    O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Yahoo! Messenger (HKLM)
    O12 - Plugin for .mpeg: C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\PLUGINS\npqtplugin3.dll
    O12 - Plugin for .spop: C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\Plugins\NPDocBox.dll
    O16 - DPF: {0585238B-9CA6-4CCB-A9B2-FE4BA495E880} (AXWebMon Control) - http://www.trackercam.co.uk/smile1/AXWebMonProj1.cab
    O16 - DPF: {166B1BCA-3F9C-11CF-8075-444553540000} (Shockwave ActiveX Control) - http://download.macromedia.com/pub/shockwave/cabs/director/sw.cab
    O16 - DPF: {9F1C11AA-197B-4942-BA54-47A8489BB47F} (Update Class) - http://v4.windowsupdate.microsoft.com/CAB/x86/unicode/iuctl.CAB?37862.2384837963
    O16 - DPF: {D27CDB6E-AE6D-11CF-96B8-444553540000} (Shockwave Flash Object) - http://download.macromedia.com/pub/shockwave/cabs/flash/swflash.cab

7. matt.choules

Just another quick question... I have been using RegClean to sort my registy for a while now... Is this a good program to use?
    I mean big brother-wise....

Matt.

8. matt.choules

An error keeps occuring when i try and open either Photoshop or some games....

SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\VirtualDeviceDrivers. VDD. Virtual Device Driver Format in the registry is invalid. Choose 'Close' to terminate the application

Close or Ignore

Once again, a registry problem?

Matt.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/164134

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice