1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

System freezes when downloading file on wireless only

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Vin6375, Jan 16, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vin6375

Vin6375 Thread Starter

Hi There,

I have been having a few problems with my IBM T42 Laptop for a while now. I was originally running Windows XP on this system and about 12 months ago I installed Ubuntu 9 on it to mess around a bit with the OS and have a basic, non-Microsoft laptop in the house that I could use for browing the web and IM, etc... The laptop needed a clean install anway as Windows XP was running like a dog. Originally it was dual boot but once I got happy with Ubuntu I did a clean install and everything worked reasonably well. I had a few issues with the wireless LAN adapter and compatibilty, but sorted it out following a few forums (firware updates, driver updates) and everything was great. I upgraded to the Ubuntu 10.04 OS and then started having some issues. Essentially my browser would freeze randomly. Again, I visted the forums and had no joy in sorting out the problem. I reverted the OS back to Ubuntu 9 and the problem persisted. So I gave up on it totally around 6 months ago.

Last week I fired up the laptop again and decided I would use the IBM restore utility and the disks I created a couple of years ago to put on a clean install of Windows XP and see how things went. So far I have done all the Windows XP updates (SP3, etc...), I have been to the Lenovo website and updated all drivers, firmware, BIOS, etc... every little problem I have had has been sorted with a software or firmware update which I have successfully implemented. All niggles have been sorted bar one.

The only problem I have left now is very odd. Everything works fine and at reasonable speed considering the age and specs of my system. When I connect via cable to my router/modem all network and internet services work fine. I have had no issues. But when I connect via wireless, intermittently my system will completely freeze - no errors, no logs - nothing. No sounds, just frozen screen. Hard reboot is the only thing that I can do to get back online.

Further investigating the issue - the freezing occurs when I click on a link to download something. I can browse anything - I have tried videos (youtube) and have no problems at all - but if I click to download a file (software upgrade pack, pdf document, Qucktime player) the system freezes up and ONLY when connected wirelessly via the inbuilt Cisco Wireless LAN adapter.

My last bit of troubleshooting was to reseat the card, which I have done and unfortunately it was not successful in sorting the problem.

Any advice of tips now would be appreciated!!

Regards,

Vince

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.1
    OS Version: Microsoft Windows XP Professional, Service Pack 3, 32 bit
    Processor: Intel(R) Pentium(R) M processor 1.70GHz, x86 Family 6 Model 13 Stepping 6
    Processor Count: 1
    RAM: 510 Mb
    Graphics Card: ATI MOBILITY RADEON 7500 , 32 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: Total - 33606 MB, Free - 17745 MB;
    Motherboard: IBM, 2373K33, Not Available, VJ0EA57L0A6
    Antivirus: AVG Internet Security 2011, Updated: Yes, On-Demand Scanner: Enabled

2. Vin6375

Vin6375 Thread Starter

Anyone?

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/974953

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice