1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

System Freezes

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by djspesh, Nov 13, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. djspesh

djspesh Thread Starter

Im running windows vista with service pack 2, when operating the system in normal mode it lags and freezes very reguarly, internet explorer is slow to/does not respond, ive tried rebootingthe system after going through msconfig, with no avail, the system is extremely slow.
    Im now running the system in SAFE MODE WITH NETWORKING and its running extremely fast, internet explorer is running extremely fast, can anyone help please

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.2
    OS Version: Microsoft® Windows Vista™ Home Basic, Service Pack 2, 32 bit
    Processor: AMD Athlon(tm) Processor TF-20, x64 Family 15 Model 124 Stepping 2
    Processor Count: 1
    RAM: 765 Mb
    Graphics Card: ATI Radeon X1270, 256 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: Total - 145624 MB, Free - 76824 MB;
    Motherboard: clevo, M7x0K
    Antivirus: TalkTalk Security 9.01, Updated and Enabled

2. pip22

pip22

Siince Windows runs okay in Safe Mode (except for the limitations that Safe Mode imposes), my guess is there is one or more bad or incompatible drivers installed, or some third-party firewall, antivirus, or CD burning software installed (all three of which install drivers of some sort) which your system does not play nice with.

If you can remember installing or updating a third-party driver or some software of the types listed above, just before the problems started, very likely that's what upsetting Windows. Uninstall it in Safe Mode then see if there has been any improvement

3. djspesh

djspesh Thread Starter

i had AVG, uninstalled that and installed talktalk security which came free with my phone and broadband service, i havent got any cd burning service, or i havent installed a new firewall, my laptop is second hand, last night i went through and found a picture in a folder named info, the picture is of the BSOD!!! this was put on the computer before i purchased it, is that my problem????

4. djspesh

djspesh Thread Starter

made a post yesterday saying my laptop freezes in normal mode, but works fine in safe mode, last night i found a picture of the laptop in a folder called info with a BSOD showing on the screen this was taken before i braught my laptop help how do i fix it ????

5. Mark1956

Mark1956

Is there any date on that photo, it could have been from a previous problem that is now fixed so I would not worry about it. Are you getting any BSOD's in Normal mode or is it just freezing.

As this is a second hand PC I would be inclined to do a format and reinstall so you can start off with a clean machine. Something, a service or software, is causing a problem in Normal mode which does not run in Safe mode.

You could try this routine to track down the cause but personally I would re-install Windows as you have little knowledge of the PC's history.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135

6. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    i have merged the threads - please do not start a new thread for the same problem - thanks

i have also deleted the two post as not relevant now thread is merged

7. djspesh

djspesh Thread Starter

the date was 13/03/11, the laptop was braught off my partners sister, its only 1 year old :S if ive got to re-install windows how much would that cost and is there any free online storage sites for my music???

8. Mark1956

Mark1956

You should not have to pay for a reinstallation, your PC will most probably have a Recovery partition which will reinstall the system back to how it was when it left the factory.

Looking back at an earlier post I see you had AVG installed, did you use the Uninstall Tool available from here
    AVG Removal tool This will remove all the remnants of the program which might just be the cause of the slow performance.

That photo from March is nothing to worry about, just delete it, whatever it was I expect it was fixed or you would still be getting BSOD's. Why not ask the previous owner?

There are free online back up services but from what I have seen the free services only allow for a few Gigabytes, then you have to pay. How much do you need to back up? You should consider having your own back up facility with the use of an external hard drive or a slave drive fitted into the PC. You never know when the hard drive will fail and they all do eventually. Your own internet provider may have a service for back up.

As you do know the previous owner may be the need to reinstall, as I had first suggested, is not so important, is the previous owner a responsible adult that would not have done anything foolish with the system? If so then I am sure we can help you to fix the present issue, start off by using the AVG removal tool.

9. djspesh

djspesh Thread Starter

Ive removed avg using the installer, and regarding the storage, ive got over 250 music tracks, and over 150 pictures, dj software, all need backing up

10. Mark1956

Mark1956

So, how big are the folders that contain what you want to back up, would it fit on a few DVD's. Right click on the folders containing the data and select properties, that will show you the size.

11. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    Not to get off the subject here, but if that computer is running Windows Vista with only 768 MB of RAM, it needs to be increased to at least 2048 MB(2 GB).

--------------------------------------------------------

12. djspesh

djspesh Thread Starter

How do i increase my laptops RAM then???

13. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    What's the brand name, model name, and model number of your laptop?

-------------------------------------------------------

Go here to load and run the Crucial System Scanner.

Once it's done and it displays the scan results, copy-and-paste the webpage link here so we can look at it.

--------------------------------------------------------

14. djspesh

djspesh Thread Starter

Brand name: zoostorm, Model number: W76K

15. djspesh

djspesh Thread Starter

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1026737

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice