System Freezes

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Ssnark

Not sure if this is a windows problem or hardware.

I am running an intel P3 CPU at 800mghz. 256k ram, 13 gig western digital harddrive, with a Legends QDI motherboard.

The first time I boot my computer during the day it freezes at the windows network login screen without fail.

I am able to log in and get to the windows(98a) desktop everytime I reboot. However my system will still freeze up randomly on different programs. This can happen anywhere from 5 mins to a few hours after the reboot.
When my stystem freezes I sometimes have mouse movement.

I have upgraded to the newest VIA chipset drivers, run Norton WinDocter, and installed the newest drivers for all peripherals.

I have checked the MB to make sure all cards are sitting in their slots and all cables are firmly connected. I have also checked the system devices menu for conflicts and have found none.

I have also scanned my system with the latest virus library from PcCillin and it is clean.

I am really not sure where to go from here.

Ssnark

Forgot to mention I have run Ad Aware as well and my system is clear of spyware.

Ssnark

Currently I have 19 applications loading at startup.

They are: msmsgs - ms messenger service

ScanRegistry
TaskMonitor
SystemTray
LoadPowerProfile
AudioHQ - Soundblaster Live ap
BCTweak - Another ap from Creative
LoadQM - This one is suspicious
NVQuickTweak - Nvidia video card ap
Iomon98.exe - Antivirus ap
POINTER - MS intellimouse ap
LoadPowerProfile - Hmmm loading twice ?
Scheduling Agent
BCMHal - No idea what this is
TrueVector - Firewall ap
MiniLog -Firewall ap
Iomon98.exe -Second time this one is loaded as well
Zonealarm -Firewall ap
Adobe Gamma Loader.exe -

Ok you can remove alot of them from startup.Try this remove the check marks next to everything except,Scan registry,system tray.audioHq,NVquickTweak,your antivirus,and firewall.See if that works.

Well,i cant see it being an over heating problem,since you said it happens at startup,or a few hours after you are up and running.Check to make sure your fans are working,check your power supply cord,make sure its making a good connection.Could also be the video card is starting to fail.Do you have access to another card to check that?

Ssnark

Unfortunately I do not have another card to test, I really hope it isn't the card, it is relatively new and GTS's don't come cheap hehe. The power supply seems stable and the cord is in firmly. The powersupply fan is working, as is the case fan and the cyclone on my CPU.

I cannot for the life of me understand why it freezes at network logon when the computer has sat for awhile, but never freezes upon reboot.

Ok,lets try one more thing,Right click on My Computer,select properties,performance,graphics,See where the hardware acceleration is at.It should be all the way over to the right(Full).If it isnt move the slider over.If it is all the way over move it back one notch,and see if that helps.

I have had this happen & am running Win98 FE

In "YOUR Windows Help Program" look up automatic skip drivers

Using Automatic Skip Driver

Automatic Skip Driver (ASD) identifies failures that have caused Windows 98 to stop responding on previous startups and marks them so they are bypassed on subsequent startups.

*All devices or operations that have failed to start are listed by ASD. You can use ASD to enable any device previously disabled by ASD, and Windows 98 will attempt to use the device on the next startup attempt. If it fails, your computer will stop responding. When you restart your computer again, ASD will prevent the operation from running allowing you to start your computer. Click Details to identify the failing device and display a suggested course of action.

See if you can find that...

Hope that works for you :)

Ssnark

Thank you both for your suggestions. My ASD doesn't have anything in the fail list. It is good to know it exists however.

My graphics accelleration tab was on full, I have moved it back a notch and am waiting to see what happens.

well go to msconfig & take the checkmarks out of all that stuff in startup & then apply & reboot... I think that might be all it is.... everything trying to load at the same time... it might be to much & is bottlenecking... making the system stop

Like beach said
remove the check marks next to everything except,
Scan registry,
system tray.
audioHq,NVquickTweak,
your antivirus,
and firewall.
See if that works.

Well there is also the chance you don't have enough RAM.
Should have at least 128MB's & I recommend 256MB's.
hope this will be of some help to you.

:) Savvy

Ssnark

I disabled the majority of startup items a while ago. Currently 256mb of ram.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online