1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

system freezes

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by benner11, Apr 6, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. benner11

benner11 Thread Starter

My system randomly freezes up on me. the num and caps lights on the keyboard start to flash and the mouse cursor locks up. I need to do a hard reboot to get it back. It is very unpredictable for the most part and can happen any time while running almost any program or operating system. i have 3 hard drives. one has xp32, one has xp64 and the third has ubuntu64. sometimes i would go a month without a freeze. then suddenly i would get one every 5 minutes. i would use some forum to get suggestions, try a few, one of them would seem to work, then inexplicably, the problem returns. recently, it was all good until i started playing around with virtualbox. this has given me a clue because this is the only program that guarantees a freeze every time in ubuntu. i installed it in windows to see if i would have the same thing but in windows i don't get a freeze, i get a blue screen/memory dump. i just did it twice in a row with slightly different numbers.

stop:0x0000008E (0xC0000005,0xAB4B8067,0xAA79EB44,0x00000000)

Tmpreflt.sys - Address AB4B8067 base at 8B4B1000 datestamp 46ee2167

then the next time i got the 0x0000008E and the 0xC0000005 but the other numbers were different and then B9FE5067 base at B9FDE000

the system is an AMD 4200+ 64bit, the video card is an ATI x550 and the motherboard is some chinese company called SPARX with an NVIDIA chipset of some sort that has onboard sound and ethernet. it seems to be called NF-MCP55. i can reboot into windows if you need more system information. i don't know where to find it all in linux.

(edit) just logged in to windows. here's the error signature:

BCCode : 1000008e BCP1 : C0000005 BCP2 : B9FE5067 BCP3 : AD74CB44
    BCP4 : 00000000 OSVer : 5_1_2600 SP : 2_0 Product : 256_1

any help is appreciated. it has been suggested that it could be a motherboard problem, a video card problem, even a ram problem. i did a memory test and it looked fine. i don't have an extra video card to try and i would like to be sure what is not working before i start spending money on new parts. thanks in advance.

2. benner11

benner11 Thread Starter

Please help. I'm still here...

3. benner11

benner11 Thread Starter

help. my machine is still freezing on me. totally random. does anyone know where to find the log files and how to understand them? i am at then end of my rope here. it is not easy to find competent repair people where i am. the machine is practically unusable sometimes. it can freeze up at any minute, in the middle of anything. running the virtual machine guarantees it but it just froze a minute ago while i was checking my email. 3 minutes before that i was just looking at a google search on firefox. someone take a shot in the dark here, please. otherwise i end up buying a new motherboard and new video card and pray that the problem was one of them. could it be something else? a cable? i have been switching things around for months and can not figure this out.

4. MaverickUK

MaverickUK

Try uninstalling your current set of drivers for the video card and install either newer or an older version of these. I will be online later if you require any more help.

5. benner11

benner11 Thread Starter

thanks. but considering that i have the same issues under 2 operating systems (xp and linux) i assume it isn't drivers. i could be wrong. i will try and post back tomorrow.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/700858

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice