1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

system freezing when plugging anything in usb

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by doll_60, Sep 22, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. doll_60

doll_60 Thread Starter

Please help!! Anytime I plug something in my usb ports, the whole system freezes. It never used to do this but now it does it every time. My mouse is ok, doesnt seem to matter, but if I plug in my ipod, or mobile phone, or a memory stick, everything stops. I have to cold start the whole system. Even if I plug them in and then turn on my pc, it goes through the startup then freezes on the window progress bar, where the little thing shuttles back and forwards?? the shuttle freezes and nothing happens. So I have to unplug what ever it is that I have plugged in, and start up again. Then it goes ok. If I try to plug anything in after the computer is up and running, everything instantly freezes. This is so frustrating!! I am not very computer literate so if you could break it down to dummy language it would be great.:eek: Also it doesnt matter which usb I plug into, the ones in front of the pc or the ones in the back, same thing happens.:mad:

2. Univalve

Univalve

Is your PC running slow? Does it freeze a bit when opening more than 1 program?

3. doll_60

doll_60 Thread Starter

No, it runs ok at any other time. The only issue is when plugging things into the usb ports.

4. doll_60

doll_60 Thread Starter

Just another issue that may shed some light on the problem. or may be completely unrelated...lol. The pc is now turning itself off for absolutely no reason. There doesnt seem to be any rhyme or reason, it just turns off. It could be sitting there with no work being done on it, then you open a program and it just turns off. Sporadically it comes up with a message on startup saying overclocking has failed?? I don't even know what overclocking is!!

5. Classics

Classics

Over clocking is making a part inside your computer run faster then it should. This will generate a lot more heat in the parts and this can cause your computer to crash unexpectedly. If you have any one else using the computer they could have done this. Try going into your BIOS (When system is booting you have to his F1, F2, F10, F12 or delete depending on your motherboard) and select Load default settings. Then save and exit. This should undo whatever over clocking has been done if any.

If this does not help, then you probably have a failed CPU or/and Power Supply Fan. This will sometimes cause the computer to think that over clocking is to blame instead of a failed fan for the heat.

---

As for the USB, it sounds like a driver problem. If you purchased your computer assembled, go to the manufacturer website and download the motherboard drivers, If you built your computer go to the Motherboard website and download the new drivers.

When installing drivers go into your Hardware Manager and uninstall the old drivers first.

If this does not work then you may have a problem with your motherboard (maybe damaged by heat?)

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/752200

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice