1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

System Freezing/ Won't Reboot/HEEEEELLLLP!

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by tsee, Oct 26, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. tsee

tsee Thread Starter

Hello everyone. I am having issues with my computer. HP Pavilion a730n with XP on it and this is what's happening with it: booting up fine Windows starts fine but when it goes into standby it freezes. I can move the mouse but nothing else it is just the stand by screen so I have to shut it down.( A few weeks ago I had to buy a new modem for it because the other one was fried by a thunderstorm. So I went to Staples and they suggested an external modem which is working fine,) but now the computer is doing what I just explained above. and it is taking forever to download things and I just recieved a warning about my "minimum virtual memory too low" I am rather green with alot of this stuff but I catch on really quickly on things so if someone could give me some insite I would appreciate it. I am about to throw this thing into the street:)

2. NYCLatinLefty

NYCLatinLefty

================

Did the problem start right after you installed the external modem?

If so, for a quick fix you can try
    tapping F8 while your computer is booting and
    from the list of operations choose,
    "Last Known Good Configuration".
    This may cause your computer to work normally again.

If this quick fix doesn't work, then you may have to
    boot from the XP Disk and choose install
    when the R comes up
    press R in the recovery console
    then try fixboot.

Good Luck . . . :p

3. tsee

tsee Thread Starter

It did start a few days after I installed the external modem but after reboot,,, I tried to hit F1, F10 and F8 and I get no response it just sits there. and also I unplugged everything and took the side cover off and blew all of the dust rabbits out and hooked it back up and it worked fine and it seems to be okay right now. (This last time I took it apart I took out the fan and manually cleaned that also should I try to do the F8 thing now that it is in OK mode? I will check back. Thank you!!:D

4. tsee

tsee Thread Starter

Oh and I don't have the XP Disk it came on it.

5. NYCLatinLefty

NYCLatinLefty

If you're system seems to be working properly and you notice that you don't have any problems, you can hold off on doing the Last Known Good Configuration if you like.

If you notice that the problems are starting up again then you can run the Last Know Good Configuration. (The configuration is exactly what it states, it's a Windows startup option that uses the most recent system setting that worked correctly.)

You should also get your hands on the OS Disk for your computer. It's always good to have incase of any problems. Using the OS Disk can solve many problems and helps you avoid grief. :confused:

Good Luck . . . :p

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/644001

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice