1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

system hang/wierd hard drive issues

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by jaheem72, Jan 19, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. jaheem72

jaheem72 Thread Starter

Hiya, this is my first post,previously i've always managed to solve my computer problems but this one is driving me insane.

i'm running vista 64 bit on a system i've had for a couple of years,every so often (when its bad about twice a minute) my computer hangs for a few seconds,i still have cursor movement but nothing else responds,then it comes back.This keeps getting worse until eventually i get a disk read error on boot.
    whatever the problem is it seems to damage and slowly kill hard drives,i've been through three so far and everytime i can get them fixed and running again without errors on other machines,i've swapped sata cables,run memtests,scandisks,defrags and about a hundred other things i don't want to list.

somethings seem to fix the problem but then after a week or so they reappear,last time i found errors on my ATA controllers in device manager,uninstalling/reinstalling seemed to fix the problem (although now i have several duplicate controllers) but then a few days later it has started hanging again.

temperatures seem fine,the problem has survived through formats,reinstalls,could it be motherboard maybe? i'm at a loss and can't afford to randomly replace hardware,any advice is greatly appreciated,thanks in advance.

2. kenny111111

kenny111111

3. jaheem72

jaheem72 Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply,its a desktop,but yeah i've had to run many checkdisks,to keep things running and when i put the drive in another computer to resuscitate it and it's fine until i put it back in my computer,i'm thinking more and more that it must be the motherboard,dunno what to do about it though.
    any ideas/help is welcome i'm going nuts here.

here's the specs:

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.1
    OS Version: Microsoft® Windows Vista™ Ultimate , Service Pack 2, 64 bit
    Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 CPU 6600 @ 2.40GHz, Intel64 Family 6 Model 15 Stepping 6
    Processor Count: 2
    RAM: 4093 Mb
    Graphics Card: ATI Radeon HD 4800 Series , 512 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: Total - 953865 MB, Free - 501676 MB;
    Motherboard: Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd., 965P-DS4, ,
    Antivirus: Microsoft Security Essentials, Updated and Enabled

4. kenny111111

kenny111111

hello,
    you can try updating the BIOS, http://us.test.giga-byte.com/Support/Motherboard/BIOS_Model.aspx?ProductID=2288
    if you know a bit about it, you know this can be dangerous, don't know that it will help, but if successful wont hurt...
    reboot and start tapping the f2 key, enter BIOS and see what version you have, check the link see if they have a newer version.

I did not see anybody else on google with that motherboard with your issues...
    are you using a decent hdd? (i assume so)
    it's either the worse luck in the world or the pc was built on a monday morning...lol
    maybe one of the hardware guys/gals will chime in..

best of luck!!

5. jaheem72

jaheem72 Thread Starter

Thanks so much for having a look for me Kenny,can't tell you how much i appreciate another point of view on it. The hard drive is a fairly decent samsung,it started making evil clicking noises today,which was worrying,but i've put it into another computer and it's fine again. I've been thinking about flashing the bios,but research seemed to indicate that if it was a corrupt bios it wouldn't boot past post screen,so i gave up on the idea,but since you've mentioned it too i'll put it back on my todo list.thanks again man,i'll post a message once i've had a chance to flash the bios.let me know if you think of anything else.

6. jaheem72

jaheem72 Thread Starter

nope nothing seems to make a difference i'm afraid,hard drive started making deathly clicking noises,put it in the other computer and it's fine,whatever this is it's getting worse,think i'm going to give up on the machine,thanks Kenny,really appreciate your help through this

7. kenny111111

kenny111111

sorry couldn't do more...may have better luck in a hardware section of the forum, isn't a software issue...IMO

8. jaheem72

jaheem72 Thread Starter

no need to be sorry,you're the only person who tried to help and i agree,i'm almost convinced it's the motherboard now anyway,reckon the only choice is replacing the whole system all things considered,if you ever have any problems i can help with let me know,i owe you one,take care man

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/975609

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice