1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

System hangs after noise

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by BotD, Apr 26, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. BotD

BotD Thread Starter

Until two days ago, I had about 1.5 weeks of system uptime. During that time, the only changes I made to my system are that I updated my sound card drivers and video card drivers. After rebooting, I've been randomly having these weird instances where my system hangs. I hear my machine make this weird sort of electrical whirring noise, as if it were about to shut down for a split second then suddenly changed it's mind. Everything becomes unstable for around 10 seconds, applications respond very slowly, parts of the interface (the taskbar in particular) become completely unresponsive, etc, then the entire system hangs. Most of the time, the HDD light remains solidly after it hangs.

This seems to happen regardless of what I'm doing or what's running, as I've had it occur during games, browsing forums, writing email, whatever. Also occurs if I leave it idling overnight, when I come back the next day it's unresponsive. I booted into Linux last night to see if the same thing happened and it worked fine, so I'm not sure if it was just coincidence and I've got hardware that's going bad, or if it's a windows specific problem.

AMD Athlon 2100+
    Not entirely sure of the motherboard...possibly something along the lines of MSI KT7 Turbo, but I don't have the box/manuals around to verify it. =(
    512MB RAM
    Linksys 10/100 ethernet
    64mb GeForce4 MX 440 video
    Am I forgetting anything?

So yeah...I'm clueless. Any ideas?

2. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    under windows howlong to reproduce error and are using linux to the same extent as windows.
    maybe worth checking all componenetsm, fans and cables are seated all OK.
    running scandisk
    it could be the HDDdrive going and it only uses that part of HDD with windows.
    may be worth trying a HDD test for you drive - if you know the make of drive try there wedsite for a tester.
    device manager may give you a clue to make mine has the make on one drive and a part number on the others which a google search for partnumber gives me the manufacture

3. BotD

BotD Thread Starter

It takes anywhere from a few minutes to 6+ hours for it to happen under windows. I'm thinking that it's the hard drive going; I booted into Linux again last night and had it happen twice during bootup. It happened once during the "mounting filesystems" part and it gave me 5 or 6 read errors.

All the cables and such are plugged in correctly, nothing's loose or anything.

Thanks for the help, I'll look for a tester and see if that helps any. =)

4. dai

dai

d/l and run the h/d manufacturers diognostic program

5. BotD

BotD Thread Starter

Just did that, and it didn't find any problems. :confused: I might try finding a spare power supply around here and trying it with that, now that I've heard the noise a few more times it's starting to sound like that might be the source of it.

6. dai

dai

check to see if a cable is touching a fan

7. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    maybe someone else can advise here, when i used to fix computers before PC's - to check the fans we used to stick a cable tie intothe fan and stop it and then watch and see how long it took to get to speed very often found problem fans before they stopped. now I AM NOT SUGGESTING YOU DO THIS however, i just wondered what the thoughts here may be on identifying potentially faulty fans in psu's etc now on PC's

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/224155

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice