1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

System Hangs - Alot!

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by ClayInfinity, Sep 7, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ClayInfinity

ClayInfinity Thread Starter

Hi,

Using Win95SE (yes, its old!) and my PC "pauses" or "hangs" for 30secs at a time at periodic intervals...

The period between hangs is getting more frequent and I am at a loss as to why?

I heard that multiple abti-virus checkers may be the cause, and I had let my Nortons lapse yet now use the AVG free ware and Zone Alarm Firewall.

Is my system running down due to age, or is there some sort of fix?

Any help most appreciated!

Clay

PS - my first posting here, be kind ;)

2. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    you may want to have a look at startups and see if you have loads of programs running in background
    also remove all virus checkers except the one you want to use.

its been solong since i used 95 - i dont know if the following works for startup - if not have a look at the pacs website below and they will advise

for 98, ME, XP
    start>
    run>
    msconfig>
    startup tab
    have a lookk at the prgrams listed - details available here

http://www.pacs-portal.co.uk/startup_content.php
    http://www.windowsstartup.com/wso/browse.php?l=1

3. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    C_I:

There is no Windows 95SE. There is Windows 98SE. Right-click My Computer, then click Properties. What version number is showing? Windows 95 has 4.00.950, 4.00.950a, and 4.00.950b. Windows 98 has 4.10.1998 and 4.10.2222. If you bought your computer with a 1000 MHz Pentium III processor, Windows 98, Windows 98SE, or Windows ME should've come installed in it, not Windows 95.

I'm guessing that a good part of the problem is a bloated startup load, a buildup of spyware, and a lack of hard drive maintenance.

Running multiple antivirus programs is not a good idea. If they're outdated and useless, uninstall them and clean out their leftover files and registry entries.

YOUR computer is not old. MY computer is old. It's 7 years old and has a 233 MHz Pentium I processor and 128 MB of RAM. It's slow, but it still runs good. :)

4. ClayInfinity

ClayInfinity Thread Starter

D'oh! Didn't realise I said 95... it was a typo / brain explosion on my part...

I will though take on your ideas guys... thx!

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/271145

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice