System hangs during boot after installing PureOS 9 (Ideapad)

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

davidpluseipi

David
Hi, I'm pretty new at Linux so I'm hoping someone here might be able to help. :)

I got a new Lenovo Ideapad Flex 14 and booted from a USB with a pureOS 9 .iso (based on Debian 10), and as far as I could tell the install went fine, but after I removed the usb and rebooted (like you're supposed to do), the boot up screens shows the following and then just stops after it repeats the "halmac_init_hal failed" a few times.

ACPI BIOS Error (bug): Could not resolve [\_SB.PCI0.GPP2.BCM5], AE_NOT_FOUND (20180810/dswload2-160)
ACPI Error: AE_NOT_FOUND, During name lookup/catalog (20180810/psobject-221)
ACPI Error: Ignore error and continue table load (20180810/psobject-604)
ACPI Error: Skip parsing opcode OpcodeName unavailable (20180810/psloop-543)
AMD-Vi: Unable to write to IOMMU perf counter.
mmc0: Unknown controller version (3). You may experience problems.

[The first time it would stop there and then open a new blank screen and print "halmac_init_hal failed" every few seconds and then stop after like 5-6 lines of it. I then downloaded rtl8822befw.bin (on another machine) and booted the ideapad to to the installation media again and then put the .bin in /lib/firmware/rtlwifi. Now the first screen that comes up includes the above errors AND this stuff...]

r8822be 0000:0200.0: firmware: failed to load rtlwifi/rtl8822befw.bin (-2)
firmware_class: See https://wiki.debian.org/Firmware for information about missing firmware
r8822be: Selected firmware is not available
bluetooth hci0: firmware: failed to load rtl_bt/rtl8822b_fw.bin (-2)
Bluetooth: hci0: RTL: firmware file rtl_bt/rtl8822b_fw.bin not found

r8822be: halmac_init_hal failed

Help me someone.... you're my only hope. ;)

Attachments

Macboatmaster

Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
So
did you make the clean install as recommended on the link I sent
under the heading
Simple installation

Your errors suggest you MAY not have made the install in UEFI mode with secure boot disabled in firmware

Miqw7394

Mike
If this particular Ideapad is as new as you say, please be aware that hardware manufacturers - with very few exceptions - give absolutely no help or assistance of any kind to Linux developers. This means that most Linux support for new hardware (primarily drivers, which will then be included in the kernel's driver stack after being written), invariably has to be 'reverse-engineered' using what are known as 'clean-room' techniques.

This takes time - anywhere from a few weeks up to and including 6-9 months or more in the case of complex stuff. Remember, too, that most Linux devs are NOT being paid for what they do; it's usually done in their spare time, as & when other commitments permit, pretty much for the love of it.

Top & bottom of the matter? Your hardware may simply be TOO new for Linux; keep it for 6 months and try again, and you'll probably find everything behaves itself correctly. Hardware manufacturers strive to always provide Windows drivers, ready-to-go OOTB for their new stuff.....because by so doing, it helps them to gain Microsoft Certification. And THAT helps publicity, marketing and sales further down the line......

Linux is very much an afterthought for most manufacturers.....if it's thought of at all. Windows is where the big bucks are, and is why they chase it so assiduously.

Mike. ;)

managed

Allan
PureOS is designed to run on devices made by Librem according to this :- https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PureOS

So that's probably why you are having problems.

I would try the latest version of Linux Mint or Ubuntu.
You don't have to install them to try them, they can run from a DVD and/or Usb stick.

Last edited:

Macboatmaster

Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
managed
I cannot find the reference to PureOS on your link
If it is there - I apologise it must be well hidden

I thought PureOS9 could be installed as shown here
https://tracker.pureos.net/w/pureos/hardware_requirements/

although it is I believe one of the more difficult Debian based systems to install, due to a lack of drive support as provided on Mint or Ubuntu

That all said the thread starter has not been on the site since 10 March so I think we can presume he is not returning to his topic

managed

Allan
Apologies, I posted the wrong link, I just edited it to the correct one.

Yes it looks like it's evolved into a complete linux distro for general use, although I agree the drivers might be limited.

I suppose we will just have to wait and see if the OP does come back or not.

In the meantime I'm going to download PureOS9 and see how it behaves as a live OS :- https://pureos.net

plodr

Liz
Truthfully, if I were new to linux, I would start with something that was in the top 10 so I would stand a better chance of getting help.
https://distrowatch.com/
right column, PureOS is way down at #50 on the list.

davidpluseipi

David
thanks for all the great advice! I think I'm going to try again with a Lenovo T450s. It's a few years older so ideally, I'll have fewer hurdles to jump. Again, thanks!

Macboatmaster

Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
Your decision but as mentioned why struggle with PureOS even if you get it installed - without some real experience you will struggle with many drivers.
Whereas Mint, Ubuntu and Puppy are not a problem to install, or indeed to run.
and in my experience Ubuntu more or less does the whole installation for you and the driver repository is extensive.

managed

Allan
If you want to try different Linux 'distros' you can run them 'live' without installing onto the internal drive.
It's a good way to test them with your particular hardware and to see if you like them or not.

I use Easy2Boot for this, with a Usb stick. If you want to try it download the top one here :- https://www.fosshub.com/Easy2Boot.html
Now plug in your Usb stick (the more GB the better) and run the downloaded file, this will set up the Usb stick, just follow the instructions.
Now you just download the ISO file for the Linux distro you're interested in and copy it into the _ISO\Linux folder on the Usb stick, plug the stick into the computer you want to try Linux on and boot to the Usb stick.
You will see some text then a menu is automatically shown, navigate to the Linux folder and click on the ISO you want to try. That's it.
If you want any changes to be preserved for the next time you use that Linux there's a bit more to it.
With Puppy linux you set up the storage from within Puppy, you will be told what to do when you first shut it down.
For Ubuntu and Ubuntu based distros like Mint you change the extension of the filename from filename.ISO to filename.ISOPERSIST and set up a special file on the Usb stick to store your changes.
I can help with that if you need it.

To start I would recommend BionicPup32-8.0+NN-uefi.iso from here :- https://sourceforge.net/projects/ze...ypup/files/latest/download&use_mirror=vorboss

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online