1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

System hangs when trying to access my scsi boot drive

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by jaredboy, Aug 19, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jaredboy

jaredboy Thread Starter

Hello All,

I just figured Id run my current situation by you all and see if anyone can think of anything else to try...

ill start with my computer specs:
    amd xp 3700+
    abit kn8 sli
    2gb corsair ddr
    maxtor atlas15k 36gb ( my boot drive and the problem here.. i think)
    nvidia gs6800 ( normally 2 but just one now- you'll see)
    dvd drives and all the rest of the stuff that doesnt really matter

so here's what happened- computer has been running flawless for about 4-5 mos.
    Was on it all last night playing WoW :) and then i went to bed. my phone rang- i happened to look up and saw it BSOD and reboot.. so im like ok.. wtf?
    as its rebooting i see nice green and gray lines all over the screen.. ok great so my vid cards are effed up... ok
    i take out one, put the sli card in thats needed, and same green lines. Put back the othe 6800gs and then its fine. Ok so vid card #1 is bad.. no problemo- ill just run on one card and RMA this sucker.
    SO i boot up to Win xp (sp2) it finds theres only one card.. yada yada.. ok we're disabling SLI and rebooting.. fine.
    As its rebooting, I figured id put the side back on so I hold down the power button to shut it off. - i wasnt looking at the screen, but it was pretty late into the boot so im pretty sure the OS was loading at that point.
    I put the side back on, reboot and then the system hangs ( does not freeze) aftter seeing nothing in the cd and trying to boot to hard disk.
    I shut down, checked and made sure nothing came loose.. everything looks fine. try again.
    same thing, hangs right before booting to the hdd. this is the main issue.

So to make story short ( as if its not long enough already)
    No matter what I do, the system has trouble accessing the hdd.
    If i boot to the win xp disk, partition magic, erd commander, a boot floppy.. it will hang.
    If i remove the scsi card and drive, the system boots fine ( and actually im mid process of just loading win xp on a IDE hdd)
    The scsi card - an LSI logic- i forget the model at this time) sees the maxtor drive without issue. I even formatted it in the scsi card bios. also ran a verify test- no bad blocks.

ive reset the bios, downloaded the maxtor scsi drive utility - again it hangs when trying to run the program to access the disk.
    so its pretty clear the trouble is with either the card, the cable, or drive.
    the drive is not making any noise, although its very hot. but i dont understand whats going on here beccause it formatted the drive and sees it without issue.. maybe the master boot record? how can i wipe that clean on a scsi drive-- again all the utilities i try freeze before it can access the disk.
    Any way i can test the card itself or the cable?
    Please help =D
    Thanks all.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/493762

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice