1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

System Hardware and Network Connections Disappeared

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Red Rooster, Jan 24, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Red Rooster

Red Rooster Thread Starter

If I pull up my network connections there is nothing there. They just disappeared and I can't add one. Also, when I pull up device manager the page is blank. It's like the system is not reading any of it's hardware, and it won't add anything. It's obviously using its hardware because the system boots up and works, except for those two things.

2. cgesicki

cgesicki

3. Red Rooster

Well thanks for the reply. That didn't seem to help any. Plug and Play was running and set to automatic. It wouldn't let me just stop it so I tried disabling it and then setting it back to automatic, but that didn't do anything either. Let me know if you have any other ideas. Thanks.

4. cgesicki

cgesicki

5. Red Rooster

Well that blog sure looked promising. She definaltely had all the same symptoms as I do. I checked out the add/remove programs, but that ContextPlus wasn't in there. I went ahead and made sure there wasn't any other programs listed that I wasn't sure how they got there, but everything checked out. I only build this particular system about a month ago, but I still really don't want to have to reinstall the OS. What a pain. Thanks again for your replies.

6. cgesicki

cgesicki

go to the start button select run then type regedit navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Enum right click on the Enum folder in the left window pane and choose permissions The Everyone group should have the read permission checked off and the SYSTEM should have full control and read.

7. Red Rooster

I checked the permissions in the Enum folder in the registry and they were already correct as you said they should be. Thanks again for the help. Sorry nothing is working out for us so far.

8. cgesicki

cgesicki

try it again with this

1. Go to "Start", "Run", and enter "regedt32"
    2. Maximize the "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE" window.
    3. Scroll down to "SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Enum"
    4. With "Enum" selected click the "Security", "Permissions" menu.

Note: At this point you will probably notice there are no permissions on this key.

5. Click "Add".
    6. Add the group "Everyone" and the user "SYSTEM".
    7. Select "Everyone" and check "Read" ONLY!
    8. Select "SYSTEM" and check "Full Control".
    9. Click the "Advanced" button at the bottom of the window.
    10. On the Advanced window check "Reset permissions on all child objects..."
    11. Click "OK"
    12. On the warning window click "Yes"
    13. Close REGEDT32

9. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

In XP, REGEDT32.EXE is just a shim that fetches REGEDIT.EXE, the split was in 2K, not XP.

10. cgesicki

cgesicki

you are correct John, sorry Red Rooster for reposting the same info again. But i wanted you to do the steps again and Click the "Advanced" button at the bottom of the window.
    On the Advanced window check "Reset permissions on all child objects..."

11. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

No problem, your advice was still correct. :)

12. Red Rooster

Well, the permissions were already set as you instructed on that key. I tried clicking the "Reset permissions on all child objects....." and I clicked ok on the warning message but then another window popped up and it wouldn't allow me to reset the permissions.

13. cgesicki

cgesicki

14. Red Rooster

I noticed that other people with the same problem keep saying that if they reboot in safe mode then everything is there in device manager. I tried booting in safe mode just to see and mine was still blank. Also, yesturday, I got the blue screen with a stop error message. I turned it off and back on and it booted back to windows. I'm starting to think I have an actual hardware problem, but I hate to think that because the system is only about a month old. It's a new build.

15. cgesicki

cgesicki

I would definitely check the usual then, eg. loose cables, reseat any PCI cards, etc.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/538003

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice