1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

New System hijack?

Discussion in 'Virus & Other Malware Removal' started by Saunders, Jul 1, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Saunders

Saunders Thread Starter

I can't seem to run Sysinfo, so hope the following will be sufficient. If you need more let me know:

Windows 8.1
    Acer Aspire V3-571G-6407
    Intel Core i5-3210M 2.5 GHz with Turbo Boost
    Nvidia GeForce GT 630M 1Gb dedicated VRAM
    8 GB DDR3 RAM
    500 GB HDD (which is pretty full currently)

I don't even know what caused the following but here's what happened.

Yesterday, when I opened up my login screen, a Windows message on the log in said "Processing Windows" after I signed in. It took quite awhile to get to the desktop. When it opened the screen was black and only a few icons appeared. A message popped up briefly, but because it was so brief, I didn't get all of it. The gist was that there were problems and my files were locked. It said that when I went to restart all my files would be deleted. I couldn't get the message back though. I went into my file explorer and the message wasn't entirely accurate. I was able to access my files in a roundabout way, and using a date sort saw several folders in the TEMP folder having to do with networking and VPN. When I looked them up in my ipad they all seemed legit, but apparently had all been accessed and modified recently. My event log showed a number of events including a date time change. I didn't save all of this as I just wanted to get it up and running properly without losing any data. I was able eventually to access system restore and take my system back to the previous day. So, it's slower than it was, and I'm nervous that there might be something still in the system that will mess it up. I did run a Norton scan in safe mode and it didn't show any problems.

Was this a hack? Is there anything to find what may be lingering if anything in my system and then how do I fix it?

Thanks for help, if able.

2. Saunders

Saunders Thread Starter

Hoping this gets bumped up. I'm not even sure this was a malware problem, but if someone could advise where it should go, or just tips on how to find out what's going on, that would be great.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1212291

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice