1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

System Idle Process Problem

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by [email protected], Jun 21, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. angry@win

[email protected] Thread Starter

Hi,
    After a recent win xp pro sp2 install, a system idle process always remains on. It doesn't take more than 16kb usually, so is not a big problem but it does manage to keep my PC's busy light flickering constantly! It is really annoying, but it did not come with the install either, it started a little after it.
    In my opinion, it was not triggered by any kind of a software or program, but is another one of those "unfortunate mistakes" that windows keeps us entertained with. I probably could fix it with a windows wash, but I was wondering if anyone has any other ideas.
    My CPU is 700 mhz, celeron B (or the old one, from 97). I have enough disk space, ~ 100gigs, so I am sure it has nothing to do with the page file either.

thnx for any help in advance...

2. MFDnNC

MFDnNC

system idle is what is left overfrom actual usage - it will always be there

how much memory does this system have

3. angry@win

I have about 254 ram.
    And the problem remains even when my sys usage is over 80%. It usually is never 25% anyway because of several software.

4. MFDnNC

MFDnNC

256 is not enuf you should get more but that is a almost 10 year old system and I doubt it has enuf CPU either for XP

Your explanations are not cleear as to the problem but lets do this

Click here to download HJTsetup.exe:
    http://www.thespykiller.co.uk/forum/index.php?action=tpmod;dl=item5

Save HJTsetup.exe to your desktop.

Double click on the HJTsetup.exe icon on your desktop.
    By default it will install to C:\Program Files\Hijack This.
    Continue to click Next in the setup dialogue boxes until you get to the Select Addition Tasks dialogue.
    Put a check by Create a desktop icon then click Next again.
    Continue to follow the rest of the prompts from there.
    At the final dialogue box click Finish and it will launch Hijack This.
    Click on the Do a system scan and save a log file button. It will scan and then ask you to save the log.
    Click Save to save the log file and then the log will open in notepad.
    Click on "Edit > Select All" then click on "Edit > Copy" to copy the entire contents of the log.
    Come back here to this thread and Paste the log in your next reply.
    DO NOT have Hijack This fix anything yet. Most of what it finds will be harmless or even required.

5. angry@win

This is the hijackthis log....
    and I know that the system specs are lower than recommended for xp, but in the past 5 yrs, I have never had such problems before.

And one thing I must clarify: the windows.0 that you see is because of a windows reinstallation without complete removal of previous windows. I did this intentionally to avoid formatting, but made sure that all the required registeries got to the system as needed. I have no problems related to this, so unless there is something I am missing, I don't think this would cause this problem.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.1
    Scan saved at 6:43:01 PM, on 6/21/2006
    Platform: Windows XP SP2 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
    MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP2 (6.00.2900.2180)

Running processes:
    C:\WINDOWS.0\System32\smss.exe
    C:\WINDOWS.0\system32\winlogon.exe
    C:\WINDOWS.0\system32\services.exe
    C:\WINDOWS.0\system32\lsass.exe
    C:\WINDOWS.0\system32\svchost.exe
    C:\WINDOWS.0\System32\svchost.exe
    C:\WINDOWS.0\Explorer.EXE
    C:\WINDOWS.0\system32\spoolsv.exe
    C:\WINDOWS.0\system32\igfxtray.exe
    C:\WINDOWS.0\system32\hkcmd.exe
    C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_06\bin\jusched.exe
    C:\WINDOWS.0\system32\ctfmon.exe
    C:\Program Files\Common Files\Ahead\lib\NMBgMonitor.exe
    C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~2\wcescomm.exe
    C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~2\rapimgr.exe
    C:\WINDOWS.0\system32\cisvc.exe
    C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\VS7DEBUG\MDM.EXE
    C:\WINDOWS.0\system32\svchost.exe
    C:\WINDOWS.0\System32\svchost.exe
    C:\Program Files\Google\Google Talk\googletalk.exe
    C:\Program Files\MSN Messenger\msnmsgr.exe
    C:\WINDOWS.0\system32\cidaemon.exe
    C:\Program Files\Ares\Ares.exe
    C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe
    C:\Program Files\Hijackthis\HijackThis.exe

O2 - BHO: AcroIEHlprObj Class - {06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3} - C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 7.0\ActiveX\AcroIEHelper.dll
    O2 - BHO: SSVHelper Class - {761497BB-D6F0-462C-B6EB-D4DAF1D92D43} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_06\bin\ssv.dll
    O2 - BHO: Google Toolbar Helper - {AA58ED58-01DD-4d91-8333-CF10577473F7} - c:\program files\google\googletoolbar2.dll
    O3 - Toolbar: &Google - {2318C2B1-4965-11d4-9B18-009027A5CD4F} - c:\program files\google\googletoolbar2.dll
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NetFxUpdate_v1.1.4322] "C:\WINDOWS.0\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v1.1.4322\netfxupdate.exe" 1 v1.1.4322 GAC + NI NID
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [KAVPersonal50] "C:\Program Files\Kaspersky Lab\Kaspersky Anti-Virus Personal Pro\kav.exe" /minimize
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NeroFilterCheck] C:\WINDOWS.0\system32\NeroCheck.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Resume copy] copyfstq.exe /startup
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [IgfxTray] C:\WINDOWS.0\system32\igfxtray.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [HotKeysCmds] C:\WINDOWS.0\system32\hkcmd.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SunJavaUpdateSched] C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_06\bin\jusched.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [DAEMON Tools-1033] "C:\Program Files\D-Tools\daemon.exe" -lang 1033
    O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [msnmsgr] "C:\Program Files\MSN Messenger\msnmsgr.exe" /background
    O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [ctfmon.exe] C:\WINDOWS.0\system32\ctfmon.exe
    O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [googletalk] "C:\Program Files\Google\Google Talk\googletalk.exe" /autostart
    O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [µTorrent] "C:\Program Files\uTorrent\utorrent.exe"
    O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [BgMonitor_{79662E04-7C6C-4d9f-84C7-88D8A56B10AA}] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Ahead\lib\NMBgMonitor.exe"
    O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [H/PC Connection Agent] "C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~2\wcescomm.exe"
    O4 - Startup: WampServer.lnk = C:\wamp\wampserver.exe
    O8 - Extra context menu item: E&xport to Microsoft Excel - res://C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~1\OFFICE11\EXCEL.EXE/3000
    O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_06\bin\ssv.dll
    O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Sun Java Console - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_06\bin\ssv.dll
    O9 - Extra button: Create Mobile Favorite - {2EAF5BB1-070F-11D3-9307-00C04FAE2D4F} - C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~2\INetRepl.dll
    O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {2EAF5BB2-070F-11D3-9307-00C04FAE2D4F} - C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~2\INetRepl.dll
    O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Create Mobile Favorite... - {2EAF5BB2-070F-11D3-9307-00C04FAE2D4F} - C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~2\INetRepl.dll
    O9 - Extra button: Research - {92780B25-18CC-41C8-B9BE-3C9C571A8263} - C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~1\OFFICE11\REFIEBAR.DLL
    O9 - Extra button: Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
    O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Windows Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
    O18 - Protocol: msnim - {828030A1-22C1-4009-854F-8E305202313F} - "C:\PROGRA~1\MSNMES~1\msgrapp.dll" (file missing)
    O23 - Service: kavsvc - Kaspersky Lab - C:\Program Files\Kaspersky Lab\Kaspersky Anti-Virus Personal Pro\kavsvc.exe
    O23 - Service: Macromedia Licensing Service - Macromedia - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Macromedia Shared\Service\Macromedia Licensing.exe
    O23 - Service: wampapache - Unknown owner - c:\wamp\apache\bin\Apache.exe" -k runservice (file missing)
    O23 - Service: wampmysqld - Unknown owner - c:\wamp\mysql\bin\mysqld-nt.exe

6. angry@win

you said
    "system idle is what is left overfrom actual usage - it will always be there"

i know that SIP showed up before several times when my cpu usage was very low, but as it has been happening lately, it has kept my busy light on constantly.
    And the reason I believe that SIP is causing this is because,
    firstly, the CPU # of the SIP is constantly changing under task manager,
    and secondly, I know all the other process are running normaly.

if you think otherwise, pls let me know

7. MFDnNC

MFDnNC

SIP will change - it is what is leftover - do not worry about it

Your memory and CPU is too low I can bet on that

Download the trial version of Ewido Security Suite http://www.ewido.net/en/download/ (W2K/XP Only)
    · Install ewido.
    · Run the application
    · Click on scanner
    · Click Complete System Scan and the scan will begin.
    · When the scan is finished, Set all items to delete
    · Apply all actions
    · look at the bottom of the screen and click the Save report button.
    · Save the report to your C: Drive
    This will take some time to run!
    Boot to normal mode
    Post that log and a new HiJack log

8. angry@win

thanks for your replies and all the help,
    but I am pretty sure that I do not have spyware. Its alright about the problem, I will probabaly just reinstall windows sometime. And now I am quite sure that the problem is the install itself, not memory etc....
    once again, thnx, and cheers!

9. dvelez1985

dvelez1985

Yeah I'm having the same issues. My system light keeps blinking and my hard drive is making the constant sound like it's being accessed constantly and it's not the typical sound it's this anoying repetative sound that makes you want to pull your hair. Like [email protected] which I don't blame him I don't have a spyware issue so we can scratch that idea. I know because I just got down installing a fresh copy of windows. I'm just hoping someone has been down my road and has found a solution. Any help would be apreciated.

10. angry@win

angr[email protected] Thread Starter

haha...I just got an email from this site because you posted a reply to my thread dvelez1985, I haven't visited this site since 2006.
    Anyway, I don't really recall what I did to fix that problem when I did, but it was most probably a reinstall.
    All things considered, that just might be the best option you have right now, since you are on a fresh install, hopefully the backup process won't be too painful.

Just a little word, I've switched to ubuntu long since, and I can't be happier. I thought at first that for a lot of things I would have to return to windows, but I never have to. If win xp really is getting under your skin, and if you want to do the smart thing and not even give vista a shot, go for some linux!

11. dvelez1985

dvelez1985

I do linux at school for operating security. The last thing I want to come home to is more linux. Besides linux is not friendly with windows games so I'll be missing out on that.

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!