1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

System idle process takes up 99 percent of CPU, 28k of memory

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by fharvey, Nov 14, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. fharvey

fharvey Thread Starter

My computer has been struggling lately, and I’ve already removed a bunch of stuff that runs in the background. The computer starts whirring and everything slows down. When I look at the running processes, Firefox usually takes up the most RAM and the System Idle Process the least, but the System Idle Process is taking up 99% of the CPU. Even when my computer isn’t whirring away Windows Task Manager still reports that the System Idle Process is taking up 90+ percent of the RAM.

I’ve got Avast, Zone Alarm, and I’ve run both Lavasoft and Spybot’s Search and Destory and have found nothing. Any other suggestions as to how I might figure out what the problem is?

2. WhitPhil

WhitPhil Gone but never forgotten Trusted Advisor

When the processor is not being used 100% by active programs, the "left over" % is absorbed by the "System Idle Process".

Thus, if it is sitting at 99% your PC is doing nothing.

3. fharvey

fharvey Thread Starter

Glad you cleared up that mystery! Thanks. But I'm still left with the issue of my computer slowing down periodically. It seems to be doing stuff, it whirs (which is either a hard drive or fan going), and when it gets through with that then I can proceed again. I remember svchost occupying a lot of resources at least once when I looked, but that apparently is a legitimate Windows program, and the scans I've done don't detect a thing wrong with it. So . . . ?

4. Tufenuf

Tufenuf

fharvey, It could be something like Windows automatic updates or your Anti-virus Program automatic updates, etc.

Tufenuf

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/651959