Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

system idle process

876 views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  dannyn 
#1 ·
what in the world is system idle process? i have been having issues with my destop for the last several months and when i go to task manager and check processes i see that 98-99% of the cpu is being used by system idle process. the system is old (1.9ghz.), but the hard drive is only 66% full. the disk shows 2 hairline red sectors. what is the major malfunction?

#2 ·
System idle process is when the system is sitting at idle, the system idle processor starts taking over. As more tasks appear you will see the system idle process go down in the percentage of cpu usage. If it is at 98% that means there is not much going on in your cpu.

#4 ·
Hello Jeff and welcome.

If in Idol processes you are still using a high percentage of your CPU a visit here may help rule out malware:

http://forums.techguy.org/54-malware-removal-hijackthis-logs/

Also how much RAM do you have installed?

A lower grade computer with a slower processor and lack of RAM would possibly appear to run at a higher percentage.

You must remember everything you install uses processes.

An antivirus program uses them,Yahoo,MSN and so on they all run in the background.

If you can post your hardware specifications that would help us help you.

The thin red lines are just fragmented files,you can do a defragmentation and it may help to get rid of them.

Your hard drive I suppose is IDE and updating to a newer IDE cable may help.

Running chkdsk /r in command prompt on the hard drive may rule in or out hard drive issues.

If you can post a little more information and visit the security center and rule out malware we can move on further and help you.

JB.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.