1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

System Image Back Up Win. 7

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by gruss67646, Feb 6, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. gruss67646

gruss67646 Thread Starter

Good Evening Windows 7 64 bit Internet Explorer 9
    Today I done my firstsystem back up I used the image back up because it says it copies everything insystem including program and drivers. My C drive is 500 GB. I am backing up to aninternal hard drive. I had 170 GB to be copied but when it finished it onlyshows to be 43 GB. On the hard drive also when I put the backup DVD disk in therom and go to properties it shows ZERO on the disk. You can look at the backside of the disk and tell something has been copied to it can someone explainto me where I went wrong. I am using an internal 1 TB hard drive to back up to.If the 43GB back up is correct how you can verify that it has copied all 170GB. According to Windows help section you need a hard drive of at least thesize of your original C drive. I went out and purchased a 1 TB hard Drive toonly back up 43 GB doesnÂ’t make any since. Any help would be greatlyappreciated.

Russ

2. rainforest123

rainforest123

Hello & Welcome to Tech Guy Forum.

Please download & run this forum's sys info tool.
    http://library.techguy.org/wiki/TSG_Valuable_links

Have you ever tried this before?

Would you describe yourself as a beginning, intermedate or advanced computer user?

Put the optical disk with the backup ito your optical disk drive.
    Open "computer"
    Right click the optical disk
    Left click "properties"
    Provide us with a screen shot.

Use W7's snipping tool, or follow the instructions, below
    http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-vista/Use-Snipping-Tool-to-capture-screen-shots

or
    http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/how-to-use-the-windows-snipping-tool/

screenshot

On your keyboard, look for a key labeled "print screen" OR "PrtSc" OR "PRN SCN" or some variation.
    When you want to capture that which is displayed, press the print screen button.
    Open Paint [ start > programs / all programs > accessories > paint [ rarely MS Paint]
    Maximize Paint
    left click "edit"
    Left click "paste"
    file > save as.
    Save the file to any location of your choice.
    File name: your choice, for example: "filename"
    save as type: left click down pointing arrow. Left click jpg / jpeg
    Left click "save" / "ok".

The file name has now been saved as filename.jpg [ or filename.jpeg ].

Return to the thread.
    Left click "go advanced".

Left click "manage attachments"
    left click "browse"
    browse to the location, on your computer, where you saved "filename.jpg"
    Left click filename.jpg
    left click "open"
    left click Upload"
    close window of upload screen after the file has been uploaded.

enter text into the reply area.
    left click "submit"

If there is information on the screen that you don't want to display, you can use the eraser [ looks like a bar of soap, left column, 2nd from the top. You can remove large areas by clicking on the dotted outline column button, top, right column, then drag your mouse while holding down left mouse button ] to surround that which you don't want displayed. Then, press "delete" on your keyboard. Then save.

Before you become too enamored with W7 backup, please read this thread.
    http://forums.techguy.org/windows-7/1087906-restoring-back-up-dvds.html

I use Acronis True Image. I use the bootabel format. You would need to contact Acronis customer service to purchase the download.
    I boot to the ATI boot disk & clone from HDD [ hard disk drive ] "0" to HDD1 [ in your case the 1 TB HDD ]. The advantage of this sis that if my HDD fails, all I have to do is remove HDD 0 and put in HDD1.

1 of the dis advantages of W7's backup, as you have discovered, is that there is no easy way to determine whether or not the backup is in good shape, or corrupt.

Here's a tutorial for using W7 backup.
    http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/663-backup-complete-computer-create-image-backup.html

Similar tutorials
    http://www.sevenforums.com/backup-restore/

Using your favorite seach engine, use these terms for even more tutorials
    "windows 7" backup restore tutorial

RF123

3. gruss67646

Good Evening
    I used windows snip feature and then I put them in your Manage attachments three files total of 673.1 kb but I can not figure out how to attach them to this message
    sorry

4. rainforest123

rainforest123

manage attachments
    browse to the file
    left click "upload"
    left click "close window"
    Left click "submit reply"

5. gruss67646

Here you go

Attached Files:

6. rainforest123

rainforest123

gruss :
    You:
    Me:
    Please note that I referred to the optical disk

Please do so.

RF123

7. rainforest123

rainforest123

8. gruss67646

Please note that I referred to the optical disk

Please do so.

RF123
    As I described in the original E-Mail the only DVD I have to put in the optical drive is the image
    back up disk that was created for start up only the back is on drive E as you should be able to see from the snap shots. Why do you keep referring to the optical drive ? What is so importation about the optical drive? I can go back an create a System Repair Disk and use it for start up if I need one. My question is why is it only showing 43.7 GB on E-Drive when the back up was supposed to be 170 GB.Also why is the DVD not opening when I can see on the back of the DVD something has been burned to it.
    gruss67646

9. rainforest123

rainforest123

g :
    YOU referenced the optical drive in post 1 of this thread.
    The files are compressed when the backup is made.

"not opening"?
    The burn may have physically failed.
    or
    I had a private program, used it to create files [ data, images, songs ] but your computer didn't know how to communicate with the private program, the disk wouldn't open.

Put the optical disk in quetstion into the optical drive.
    start > programs / all programs > accessories > backup

When the backup program for the location of the files that you want the backup program to use to restore your computer, point the program to [ browse to ] your optical drive.

Use your favorite search engine, with this string: "windows 7" restore backup tutorial
    1 hit:
    http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/648-restore-backup-user-system-files.html

I hope I have provided useful information.

I hope I have explained to you why I want to know info about the optical disk.

RF123

10. gruss67646

"not opening"?
    The burn may have physically failed. No may the burn did fail ) ( No may the burn did fail )
    or
    I had a private program, used it to create files [ data, images, songs ] but your computer didn't know how to communicate with the private program, the disk wouldn't open.

!!!! There is no private program on my computer to be recognized !!!!!!

When the backup program for the location of the files that you want the backup program to use to restore your computer, point the program to [ browse to ] your optical drive.

Use your favorite search engine, with this string: "windows 7" restore backup tutorial
    1 hit:
    http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials...tem-files.html

I hope I have provided useful information.

I hope I have explained to you why I want to know info about the optical disk.

!!! Basically what my understanding is that now we have another BATA program on the market by Microsoft for the public to try and then tell Microsoft about the problems. The program never has worked never will work right until more engineering is put into it. ( Will never happen ) As for as only seeing 43 gb on the back up drive instead of 170 gb I believe is because the data has been compressed and no one seems to want to say that out loud. If you go into Microsoft knowledge base you can find where it is mentions quite a few times. All of the self-proclaimed techs that I have spoken to tell you that you need a hard drive at least the same size or larger than the one on your C drive or Master to create a image back up. I can see now this is not a true statement. From what I can see is no one really knows exactly how much data is on a compressed hard drive and if they do they are not willing to share.
    THANK YOU EVER SO MUCH FOR YOUR TIME AND EFFORT
    HAVE A GREAT DAY
    Gruss67646

11. rainforest123

rainforest123

MY
    computer, NOT YOUR computer.

What is a BATA program?

???
    I will gladly say out loud that the file is compressed, as I have already stated.
    I have degrees & certificates that state that I am a computer tech, so I am not "self-proclaimed".
    You & I haven't talked, but we have had conversations with the typed word.

Untrue

RIGHT click the drive
    Left click "properties"

unsubscribed

RF123

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1088390

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice