1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved System Image Backup to Flash Drive in Window 7

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by goedel, Oct 13, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. goedel

goedel Thread Starter

1. Instead of backing up my system to an external harddrive, I want to back it up to a 128GB flash drive. I have formatted the flash drive to NTFS standards. When I run Windows Backup, the program gives only two choices: backup to harddrive or backup to DVD. How can I trick the system to allow me to backup to my flash drive?

2. If there is no simple workaround for using Windows Backup as in 1. above, is there a free program (not a free trial!) that will let me backup my C:\ drive to my flash drive?

3. Could I fool the system by copying my last backup files from my external harddrive to my flash drive and then running a new system backup to my flash drive? Is it worth a try, or is it a certain to fail?

Thanks!

2. DaveA

DaveA Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    David
    I do not think that 128GB flash drive is large to do a system backup using the Windows Backup program.

How large is you hard drive?

3. goedel

goedel Thread Starter

DaveA: The 128GB flash drive would seem to be more than enough in terms of space, because my system images when I use an external hard drive are much smaller than 90GB.

With that information, could you now tell me how to do the job?

4. goedel

goedel Thread Starter

Additionally, I notice that there is software sold on the internet that will allow a system image backup to my SanDisk 3.0 Ultra 128GB flash drive. Thus, it would seem to be possible. It requires a read/write program to read the C:\ drive and write to the flash drive. If the program were itself on the C:\ drive, that would not be possible, I don't think. Thus, it must be a program that can be run from the boot area after a restart, just as the restore program does - the one on Windows 7.
    If I must buy a program for this purpose, I shall return my SanDisk drive for refund. SanDisk ought to supply such a program because a high capacity flash drive is a good place for system backups rather than an expensive external hard drive.

5. easymike29

easymike29

6. managed

managed Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Allan
    You can use Macrium and many other Imaging programs from within Windows but I prefer to boot to the recovery media and make the image from there. Macrium free version has an option to make a DVD or Usb stick very easily, you boot from that to restore an Image and you can also make one that way too.

A Usb stick is not a good place to store an Image or backup, they are not very reliable. External Usb hard drives are better in that regard and are cheaper per GB.

7. goedel

goedel Thread Starter

I have downloaded Macrium free version, created a boot DVD from it, and set up my backing up schedule; all rather straightforwardly done. I set the schedule for 12 noon today for the full backup and created both the monthly and the weekly (differential) backup routine. The full backup executed as scheduled. I thank you much for referring me to Macrium. I had used Macrium before, but with my old Windows XP, and I forgot about it. Shame on me!
    I am very curious to learn of reliability comparisons between flash drives and hard drives. Can you refer me to any you trust? I could do a google search, but you seem acquainted with the subject; so I thought I would ask you first.
    Thank you again!

8. managed

First Name:
    Allan
  9. goedel

goedel Thread Starter

I have read the link you kindly provided and was not surprised by any of the disadvantages related. I am using a SanDisk 3.0 128GB Ultra flash drive. I bought SanDisk in the past and have found the products reliable. My system image backup is less than 90 GB, including the Recovery partition. I am surprised to learn of the amount of space some systems images require, but I admit to using my computer mostly for communications: email, internet national and international news and commentary, my taxes and financial chores. My 500 GB hard drive is mostly unused, I have never had to defrag it; similarly my 500 GB external hard drive is even less utilized. I'll take my chances with the flash drive; much easier than connecting my external hard drive with its Molin cable power source and inconvenient data cables! Thanks to you and all who have offered their help on TSG! I shall mark "Solved".

10. managed

First Name:
    Allan
    Ok but I would make at least one more backup of any files you don't want to lose on a different storage device. As the old saying goes 'it's better to be safe than sorry' ! Up to you of course.

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1217814

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice