1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

System Image vs. Recovery Disk (many dumb questions)

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by happyfatmonkey05, Jan 21, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. happyfatmonkey05

happyfatmonkey05 Thread Starter

Hi there!

I just bought a new laptop that comes with Windows 8.1. I want to upgrade to Windows 10.

My first question is, do I do a System Image or Recovery Disk -prior- to the upgrade, or after?

My second question is, is it sufficient to just do a Recovery Disk if I haven't installed anything yet? The main thing I can't figure out through my research is if I create a Recovery Disk, will that include my current operating system? Or is the operating system only backed up through a System Image?

I -think- my final question is, if I put all of this onto a flash drive, when I plug my flash drive in, is it going to try to reset my computer every time? Or only if I plug it in before I boot up?

I'm really not savvy to deal with a lot of the terminology I see on the web when I try to research these things on my own, so hopefully someone can answer my questions as if they're talking to a 5 year old :)

2. Dougx789

Dougx789

I suggest you make a system image both before and after the upgrade.

That way if you have any issues with Windows 10 you can quickly and easily restart with Windows 8.1. If all goes well then you have a backup of when you started with Windows 10 encase anything goes wrong in the future.

Do not store the image on a flash drive. This is not a suitable long term backup method. Use an external hard drive or a secondary internal one (not a second partition on your primary drive).

Please see here https://forums.techguy.org/threads/making-backups.827327/

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1164646

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice