1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

System Information "can't collect information"

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by thop, Apr 5, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. thop

thop Thread Starter

When I start System Information (msinfo32.msc) it gives me, in the info panel, the following message:

Can't collect information
    Cannot access the Windows Management Information software. Windows Mangement files might be moved or missing.

I checked if the WMI service is not disabled (it is automatically started, the default).

In Microsoft Mangement Console, under Services and Application, I have WMI Control. R-click, properties, and:

Failed to connect to <local computer>
    because "Interface: class not registered"

What can i do?

2. Mosaic1

Mosaic1

Try this and see if it helps.

Excerpted from :
    http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_a.htm
    This will register WMI.

3. chivewife

chivewife

I'm having the exact same problem, and have been trying to debug it all day. I've tried everything I could find in Microsoft's knowledge base, as well as newsgroups and google searches. No luck yet.

One suggestion I keep coming across is to stop the WMI service, delete the repository folder under windows\system32\wbem\, and then restart the WMI service. Everyone says the repository folder will be "rebuilt", but the folder never re-appeared. Should I restore it out of the recycle bin, or is it okay for it to be missing?

Any other suggestions to fix the msinfo32 error? I've tried the suggestions at kellys-korner-xp.com, as well as quite a few others.

In the process of trying to debug the msinfo32 error, I've come across an internal error which is probably related. Selecting the "Dependencies" tab under Services and Applications > Event Log [as well as Remote Procedure Call and some others], will cause an error that says "WBEM error features not available. Upgrade WMI to a newer build." Is there any way to re-install or upgrade the WMI service in Windows XP? I can't seem to find a place to download it from, and it's not on the Windows XP disk.

4. fly_parvaz

fly_parvaz

Hi Chivewife

I have the same problem as you.

Did you find it out???

if yes please inform me .

thanks

and i have other problem in command in CMD

Attached Files:

5. chivewife

chivewife

I contacted MS tech support, and we tried a bunch of things without any success. Their final suggestion was to boot from the Windows XP disk and choose to "repair" windows. I did that, and it all works now.

But I should warn you that "repairing" is pretty much like re-installing. All the Windows files were copied again, and it gives you the same setup screen as when you install Windows for the first time. I don't think I had to re-install my applications afterward, but I don't really remember. You really want to think about it before deciding to do it. I would recommend it only as a last resort and only if you are that worried about the error.

6. pinger

pinger

Goto a DOS prompt and try SFC /SCANONCE, and reboot. See if that helps any. System File Check supposedly fixes all system files that in protected mode.

7. pinger

pinger

Fly Paravaz > you have the syntax incorrect, you need a space.
    Winmgmt /?

8. Sugmag

Sugmag

Do what Mosiac said. I searched all day for this & what he
    said works!!!!! Type in those commands. Listen to the man!

Thank you Mr. Mosiac! :)

9. FLGuy

FLGuy

I have the same symptom - "Can't collect information
    Cannot access the Windows Management Information software"

I tried the commands suggested in the post from Mosaic1. Unfortunately, this did not correct the problem on my system (WinXP/SP1).

Any other suggestions for how to correct this (other than repair/reinstall XP?)

thanks in advance for any help!

10. FLGuy

FLGuy

BTW, I also tried the SFC /SCANONCE suggestion.

No improvement from this either. Other suggestions?

11. FLGuy

FLGuy

I found a solutiion that works on my system at least (WinXP/SP1) for the problem w/ WMI:

Try the following to repair/reinstall the WMI - it's pretty similar to what Mosaic suggested, however this version worked better on my system:

If anyone (list admin?) knows how to pass this on to the other users that reported this problem, pls feel free to do so.

12. JRWilliams308

JRWilliams308

I realize this is an old thread but I'm desperate. Sorry in advance.

I've been trying to troubleshoot a problem with UPnP and Windows Media Player Network Sharing Service not enabling properly. I was getting an error stating that a dependency could not be started. So I found a MS article which said that WMI may be corrupt and to try the steps mentioned in this thread. which are

winmgmt /clearadap
    winmgmt /kill
    winmgmt /unregserver
    winmgmt /regserver
    winmgmt /resyncperf
    net stop winmgmt
    del %windir%\system32\Wbem\Repository\*.* /s
    net start winmgmt
    %windir%\system32\wbem\wbemtest.exe

But now since doing this, I'm hanging frequently when trying to open mmc.msc, or doing anything with explorer.exe. Further, I'm getting this error when trying to view dependencies at all.

service dependencies "Interface: class not registered"

All articles I've found point right back to WMI being corrupt and to perform these same steps. I've done it now several times and have had no luck. What's worse, when I deleted the \system32\Wbem\Repository directory I put it in my recycle bin so that I could restore it of needed, but now can't even see the contents of the recycle bin, even though the icon indicates the items are in there.

I'm stuck. Is my only option to perform a system restore?

Oh also the last step in those directions brings up the Windows Management Instrumentation Tester, but I've not found any details on what to do with that tester.

TIA

Jay

13. FLGuy

FLGuy

Wish I could help. Unfortunately, we are out of my depth (on this subject, at least :) here.

Anyone else?

14. geoffwhere

geoffwhere

Way back in March 2004 but still good advice - fixed my problem.

15. geoffwhere

geoffwhere

Now that I've fixed the MSinfo32 problem, the Help & Support Error log gives the following message:

"The launch and activation security descriptor for the COM Server application with CLSID {A9E69610-B80D-11D0-B9B9-00A 0C922E750} is invalid. It contains Access Control Entries with permissions that are invalid. The requested action was therefore not performed. This security permission can be corrected using the Component Services administrative tool."

When I try to view Group Policy settings (Tools, Advanced System Info) I get an Invalid namespace error.

How can I fix this? THanks in advance

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!