1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

SYSTEM.INI error message

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by JASanti7, Jul 9, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. JASanti7

JASanti7 Thread Starter

Hello all, I am new member and I have a problem that I can't seem to figure out! Please help me :confused: :confused:

Here is the wording of the error message:

Cannot find a device file that may be needed to run windows or a windows application. The windows registry or system.ini refers to this device file, but no longer exist. If you deleted this device file on purpose, try un-installing the associated application using it's uninstall or set up program. If you still don't want to use the application assoiciated with this device, try reinstalling that application to replace the missing file.
    C: PROGRA ~1\SYMANTEC/SYMEVNT.386

Since I bought Norton Internet security 2004, it has been a major problem. I have used the RNAV.2003 program to try and remove anything symantec on my PC. But for some reason, the problem is still here.

PLEASE HELP!

Thanks.

2. active95

active95

Since you didn't mention what version of windows you use, i'll assume it's windows98.
    In that case, check the autoexec.bat and config.sys files for symantec entries ( usualy those are left behind ) and put a rem in front of symantec entry
    for instance if you see in the autoexec.bat file the following entry
    C:\Progra~1\Symantec\Symevnt.368
    put a rem in front of it, and it should look like this
    rem C:\Progra~1\Symantec.....
    Save and exit.
    If that doesn't work , then use the search tool in windows and locate the System.ini file
    Once you locate it, go are and open it up with notepad. Once open locate the C:\Progra~1 entry and delete it ( i recomend, making a backup copy of the system.ini file before anything else).
    Save and exit ( make sure the file type will be " All files" not " . txt ( since notepad will try to save it as system ini.txt file.
    HTH

3. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    You'll need to delete an entry from the registry.

It should be located under this key:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\Current Control Set\Services\VXD\

Then find SymEvnt and delete that key.

To get to the registry go to Start- > Run -> type REGEDIT

4. WarC

WarC

You could download "RegClean", its freeware you could probably find at Microsoft's website. It should delete old entries.

EDIT: If the line is in your system.ini file, you can edit it with notepad. Just don't change its properties or file type!

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/248483

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice