1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

System.ini file damaged

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by RALPH_cc, Jan 23, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. RALPH_cc

RALPH_cc Thread Starter

Hi ,

I downoaded this program called x-setup and it changed the system ini settings for :

MaxBPs= 16384
    MinTimeSlice= 20
    WindowUpdateTime= 50
    PageBuffers= 4

how do i go back to the default values and what are the default values for win 98 se. I am running a pentium III 500 mhz pc. after this change my computer has started freezing. pls help immediately. or reply to my email address [email protected]

2. Davey7549

Davey7549

Ralph
    Welcome To TSG!
    Messing with and registry settings to boost performance can work sometimes but can also get you into trouble. Here are the default settings for the four INI settings you posted. Also here is a website that goes through most of the performance tweaks that can be changed for increasing performance. You may want to review the others and make sure X-Setup didn't change others you did not want.
    MaxBPs= 16384 default=370
    MinTimeSlice= 20 default=20
    WindowUpdateTime= 50 default=50
    PageBuffers= 4 default=4

More settings that affect system performance.
    http://dukertcm.totalconversions.com/knowledge-base/documents-online/setup-windows-buildgames.html

Keep us posted on your progress.
    Dave

3. RALPH_cc

RALPH_cc Thread Starter

First of all i would like to thank all of you at TGP, you are very good. thanks!!!!!.

My system is back to normal again but this program x-setup also changed my vcache settings.how do i set them back to the default win 98 se setting. The system runs on 64 mb ram. pls let me know what are the default win 98 settings for vcache. as of now i have uninstalled x-setup but the vcache in system ini remains blank.

4. true_caucasi

true_caucasi

yo...im not 2 sure on dis but i dont no y it shouldnt work...but untill some1 backs me up dont do it...
    aight...
    first of all....did u do dis during de last 5 days??do u no wat de date was before u did dis xsetup stuff???if u do...
    you should b able 2 do dis...
    restart into pure dos...(command promp only from de menu)
    then type
    scanreg/restore
    then it will shows u cab files of de last five days..
    if de day b4 u did de xsetup thing is one of these den select it with de arrows
    n den use de arrows keys 2 highligh exit...
    u will no hav n e of de progs daat u installed after dat day (xsetup)...n all de stuff it did should b back 2 normal..
    but again dont try dis until some1 bax me up...

5. Davey7549

Davey7549

Ralph
    true_caucasi is correct in saying that scanreg /restore is a viable option if the problem has not passed the 5 day/5 good startup period. This may be the way to go since you are unsure of what xsetup changed. If you installed xsetup 4 or less days ago then go to your msdos run line and when the C:> prompt appears type in scanreg /restore and hit enter. (note: there is a space between the g and /)
    Once the selection screen appears select the date that preceeds the install of xsetup and hit enter. This procedure will revert your registry back to before xsetups work.
    If you can't use scanreg /restore the go to start/settings/control panel/system and select the performance tab and place check mark in allow wondows to control my virtual memory. Click OK, Click OK again and restart system.
    That sould get you back close to the way it was before.
    Dave

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/65978

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice