1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

System install failure

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by pcnewbie, Aug 20, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. pcnewbie

pcnewbie Thread Starter

Howdy list thanks for having me.

I bought a second hand laptop Compaq evo n1000c and wanted to do a complete new install.

Inserted the disk restarted Compaq restore starts

followed the promps saying I will lose ll my data

replied OK

cd spins then stops and I get

C:\>

How do I get my computer back?

Any help appreciated
    thanks for this site.

2. physician

physician

Welcome

I wonder if there is a cdrom problem or an incompatibility with the OS and your laptop. What did you do when you got the prompt? Did you hit enter or anything at all? Did you try to reboot a second time? There is a chance that the cdrom is bad also. Do you have an old OS disc that you could try in the laptop just to check the cdrom? If you don't , you could download the free OS Knoppix, burn an .iso image of the download, put it in the laptop and reboot. Knoppix is an OS that will run on the system of most computers, but won't install to the hard drive. It runs in RAM and on the cdrom. You cannot hurt your laptop - actually since you are reformatting the hard drive you cant hurt it by installing any OS as you plan to erase it anyways. Try another OS or Knoppix and let us know what happens...doc

http://www.knoppix.net/

3. pcnewbie

pcnewbie Thread Starter

Thanks Physician for the reply

On that propt I hit the enter key and I got the prompt again

I shutdown removed the cd and restarted

choose the old config settings and it away it went.

How suprised was I.

I am a mac user and have no pc experience so I freaked ou.

I will test the cd drive and the cd.

Do I really need to do a clean install if the system restore has been run and ther's nothing on it anyway?

Thanks

pcnewbie/xmac

4. physician

physician

When you try to install the OS, it will tell you if it detects another OS (actually will be a warning). You will have to tell it yes or no because windows (is that what you are installing) warns before it wipes out another OS. IF the hard drive is clean, then you just install. IF there is another OS you probably should do a clean install and get the latest updates from Microsoft. Then get your soft ware on it like antivirus software, ad aware, spybot ( use the teatimer app), spywareblaster and spywareguard. I would also seriously consider Mozilla browser and Mozilla Firefox browser as they are currently more secure for surfing the net than the internet explorer that will come with your microsoft OS if that is what you are using. Also remember to defrag your hard drive once after all the installation to clean things up...doc

5. KHolloman

KHolloman

If there is nothing on it, I do not see the point in the clean install unless your having several errors.

6. pcnewbie

pcnewbie Thread Starter

Thanks for all that great stuff I'll check it out

OK from the top
    I purchased an as new latop that has xppro installed.
    The guy tells me he has run system install and that there is nothing left on it.
    By that I imagine he's meanning the system has been restored back to factory install.

Me just being me want to start with a new slate and want to erase the HD and install from scratch a new system. This is where macs and pc's differ.

you boot of the install disc and it does it,it even keeps all your settings so you are ready to continue after install, normal problems aside.

I am assumming sytem restore is similar.

The sytem restore discs are from compaq and can be read by the cd drive so I am assumming they are OK

What am I missing here, should I both with a clean install and just run the updates instead and do a defrag and work away until I start having prolems?

Thanks again

pcnewbie

7. pcnewbie

pcnewbie Thread Starter

That should read should I bother with the clean install?

pcnewbie

8. physician

physician

IF you trust the guy who sold it to you completely, then use the installed system. I personally would reinstall. When installing a new OS, windows will do a repair or save which is similar to what you are saying. You can save the data on the hard drive while putting the New OS on it. The system restore is used when a computers operating system has become so messed up that it is not working properly and you want to go back a few months when it was working properly. You lose everything that has been put on it since that date, but the computer will run like it did at the time that you chose to restore it to...doc

9. pcnewbie

pcnewbie Thread Starter

Thanks

Thats where I go to when I run the cd it stops at the C:/> prompt

What should I do at this point?

Ive tested the CD drive and its fine

Thnka again

10. physician

physician

What disk are you using?

doc

11. physician

physician

You dont want the compaq system repair or security disks, you want the Windows OS disk that should have come with the laptop.

Why you leaving Mac, I hear it is the best right now...doc

12. pcnewbie

pcnewbie Thread Starter

Hi physician

apologies I had to bail last night it was about 2 am when I last posted. Wife kicked me when I got to bed.

OK I've only got the compaq quick restore discs 1 2 3 no xp disks.

I'll be heading over to a tech friend to get xp reinstalled from groud up. Always safest bet This keyboard is shocking have to get a new one its mssing every tenth letter.

Leaving mac because I work in sound for film tv and music.
    Yes the new machines are awesome and the application builders see this an opportunity to get slack with the code writting and before you know it your once aweasome machine is sluggish.
    Will this cycle ever end?

I don't think so.

I discovered a program called SAWStudio and it appealed to my belief that the operating system shouldn't hamstring the desired applications performance.
    SAWSTUDIO takes over Windows and becomes the open enviroment. Its lightenning fast graphics and unparralled stability and really well thought out work process leave the others wanting.

Its totally responsive feels like and sounds like analog and basically it does more that the 300M applications we run now and is only 8M in size. This gets all the CPU power and it screens. Its written i assembly language.

Not for mac though.

If something doesn't work we have direct access to the developer via chat, he has had fixes done in a couple of hours.

So I'm really impressed by the product and will have to leave my beloved mac behind.

PC s are noticibl better on the web but the down side is they are less secure compare to macs

What scares me about pc's is there are so many variations and configrations.

I just want to work and create and not be having computer hassles, and mac was great for that.

I hope to find this with PC and SAWSTUDIO comination.

Thanks for your help

Cheers

pcnewbie

13. physician

physician

I agree with him wanting to reinstall a clean version since he bought it used from someone just from a security standpoint. It may be a lot of work for nothing, but I too would do a reinstall on a used computer that someone else claimed to have cleaned up...doc

14. physician

physician

Those restore disks are not the OS disk. I have a new compq laptop and it has a system restore disk, OS disk and all the security patches disk. I have a suspicion that those system restore disks are all the junkware that comes on a compq, but I really don't know - maybe one of the other regulars here knows. You are going to need the OS disk - sounds like the guy you bought it from did not give it to you...doc

15. physician

physician

Hey, you are going to want some security software for that computer if you are going to be on the net. This is the site for security. If you browse the forums, I think the general rec is to run Antivirus, Spybot, Adaware, Spywareblaster and Spywareguard. For internet explorer, you need the google toolbar (blocks most popups) and seriously consider IE Spyads. Most of us here surf the net with Mozilla and Mozilla Firefox - both nonexplorer browsers that are more secure that IE. Everything I have mentioned is free except the antivirus software. Some here love the free AV software, but I like the best. Norton is very good and ESET Nod 32 is the best according to Virus bulletin 100 site. It is not expensive and worth it when it comes to security. I will post you some sites with info about them FYI...doc

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/index.php?showtutorial=48
    http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/index.php?showtutorial=43
    http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/index.php?showtutorial=49
    http://www.mozilla.org/
    http://mozilla.gunnars.net/

Not for profit site that reviews all types of security software:
    http://www.wilders.org/anti_viruses.htm
    VB 100 site:
    http://www.virusbtn.com/vb100/about/index.xml
    read about the in the wild virus testing, look at vendors and specially look at Norton symantec, mcaffee and eset - NOD 32 has won their competition for years against in the wild viruses and again, norton is good too.

IE Spyads
    https://netfiles.uiuc.edu/ehowes/www/resource.htm

Sorry this is a lot of reading, but it sounds to me like you depend on your computer for a lot of work and if you go on the net, you better be safe. I have been using these tools for a long time. Again, if you check the forums here and pretty much most of them ( I hit more than just this one - this one is one of the most helpful) there is a general recommendation for these programs. There is a good article about Adaware and Spybot in the Sep issue of PC World if you read that mag - they recommend it. A lot of the regulars have most of the links for these freewares included in their signature I have noticed. HTH...doc

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/264249

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice