1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

system key to unlock keyboard

Discussion in 'DOS/Other' started by alanh01, Sep 19, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. alanh01

alanh01 Thread Starter

I have an old pc about the early 90's. On the front of the system is a key lock/unlock. It's to unlock the keyboard. I don't have the key, so my question is how do I fix this?

2. cwwozniak

cwwozniak Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Chuck
    Hi and welcome to TSG,

If the lock does not also lock the case shut, you should be able to open up the case and disconnect the lock switch from the motherboard. The keyboard should now work no matter how the keyed switch is set.

3. alanh01

alanh01 Thread Starter

Hi. I tried that and still have the same problem. I even tried a jumper to see if that would work. Windows does not start up. The error is at the beginning when the system checks everything.

4. cwwozniak

cwwozniak Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Chuck
    If the key switch has only two wires going from it to the motherboard, the only possibilities are that the two wires or connect to each other not. I believe that most motherboards of that era disabled keyboard input when the two pins are shorted to each other

What is the exact wording of the error message?

Am I safe to assume that the computer uses 6-pin Mini-DIN sockets for the keyboard and mouse connections? If so, are you using a keyboard with that type of plug on it or does it have a different plug and you are using an adapter.

Have you made sure the keyboard is plugged into the keyboard socket and not the mouse socket? Some motherboards may be finicky about that.

Do the indicator lights on the keyboard blink when the computer is first turned on?

5. alanh01

alanh01 Thread Starter

Hi Chuck. I found out what the problem was. The turbo boost was connected with the keylock. Sharing the same pins. There are five pins on the board that reads "keylock". The key only uses two of them. Then there's three open. I moved the turbo two another set of pins, and now things are working great. Thanks for your help. Good day

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!