1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

System lock up

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by cowpatz, May 16, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. cowpatz

cowpatz Thread Starter

After a random period of time the system locks up completely. All keys useless including ALT-CTRL-DEL. No cursor movement. System reset does not work (I just get a bit of Hard drive activity and initial test of drives but no beep and reboot) and requires a complete cold reboot. I have just reloaded Win XP and all drivers with same problem. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

If system reset (the hardware button) doesn't work, I'd suspect a hardware issue, probably in the drive or controller area.

3. cowpatz

cowpatz Thread Starter

Is there any way that I can check these without replacement? I take it that the Hard drive controller is the IDE controller. Will reloading the Mobo drivers help?
    I have noticed that the CPU fan seems to change tone frequently as if under load at times. Could this be a faulty power supply and could this be effecting things?

4. endri

endri

The CPU fun can change tone because of different cpu state. I dont think that this is your problem. You must check your MOBO for hardware problems.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/362919