System Lockup

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

NTL

I just bulit a new computer and it seems to somewhat randomly lock up. When this happens it makes a strange noise in my headphones, the mouse freezes, and the computer is unresponsive. I've noticed that it seems to lockup more often when I am playing computer games (especially those which are more demanding on the video card), but it can happen at any time (it has even happened while I was logged out and my computer was at the windows login screen.) Here are my system specs:

Windows XP Home SP2
AMD Athlon 64 3200+ Venice core
MSI K8N Neo2 Platinum Socket 939 NVIDIA nForce3 Ultra ATX mother board (with updated chipset drivers)
1GB CORSAIR ValueSelect Ram 184-Pin DDR 400 (PC 3200)
ATI Radeon 9600 SE video card
400 watt power supply (new)

What could be the problem? I meet the system requirements for all the games I try to play, and don't understand why it freezes up when I am just surfing the internet, ect. Thanks for any help you can provide.

dustyjay

Jay
well let see here. 400 watt power supply (New). Is it a quality name brand unit or is it a relatively lowcost cheapie? Could be a power supply problem.

NTL

dustyjay said:
well let see here. 400 watt power supply (New). Is it a quality name brand unit or is it a relatively lowcost cheapie? Could be a power supply problem.
It was a $30 power supply, how could I determine if this is the problem?

dustyjay

Jay
Unfortunate choice for a nicer computer. I would guess tht the $30 is either not providing the power as it should or that you need more power for your system in the first place. Antec, Thermaltake, Sparkle, coolermaster, Vantec, In Win are among a few of the very good manufacturers, and a 450 or higher watt PSU is what you would be looking for.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online