Shuttle AI61 mobo
512 SDRAM
2 - 80 Gig WD special edition drives
PNY GeForce4 MX 440
SB Audigy 2 Plat
MS Lan Card
Adaptec 4 USB2 card
Connect to itnernet through a router and have BlackIce running

What first happened was that it would either lock up at the win XP login screen or while the system was loading after I entered my password. A reboot would usually fix this. Then it started to take several reboots to get in.

What then started to happen was the system started to reboot for no reason.

After that the system would just go dark, everything was running yet to response from the machine even hitting the reboot button the system would stay dark and not post. Only unplugging it would get it to post again.

I have verified that I have no worms (downloaded all the tools). I removed all card except for the vid card and it still happens. I updated the mobo with most current boios/disc controler etc available

I'm thinking my mobo is dying but I want to be sure before I invest again.

Thanks

See less See more
#2 ·
Was there ram upgraded and when? There are four possibilities that occur to me why this could happen. 1. software conflicts(even with os). 2. Memory. 3. power supply. 4. hardware system overheating. check the fault log to identify errors. See if they are memory errors or os errors. clean the power supply and rest of pc. First check the error logs to help identify if the problem is software or hardware.

#3 ·
More likely than less, it's the power supply or the system memory.

Least likely is the motherboard itself.

#5 ·
i haven't played with XP much. try start...programs...accessories...system tools..or system information... see if a help window opens and check under "tools" on the tool bar. XP may use dr watson also (not sure). Check at microsoft's site or through google on issues or how to's with xp.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.