1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

System Makeover dual boot WinME-XP

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by Davey7549, Dec 4, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Davey7549

Davey7549 Thread Starter

Heres is what I would like to do, Currently have twin 30GB drives
    "C" "D" WinME is on one big partion on "C" and "D" is just being used as a Ghost Drive. I want to get partition magic and start workin with Windows XP. What suggestions does everyone have for setup of both the drives. One prerequiste is I still want to be able to Ghosts the drives on the opposite Sister drives.
    Dave

2. angel

angel

Do you want ME to be able to see the XP partitions?

I would partition each drive into 2 partitions. Install ME on the first drive, first partition. Then install XP on the second drive, first partition. Boot menu will be setup for you by XP. Then you'll have the second parition on each drive to use for the ghost image of the opposite OS's partition.
    Actually, I would setup two partitions for each OS to use (one for the OS and program installations and the other for data files). So I guess I'd say 3 partitions on each drive. Unless you want to share a data partition between each OS?
    Or were you looking for specifics such as the exact partition sizes, etc.

3. Davey7549

Davey7549 Thread Starter

Sounds like a good plan and what advantage would it be for WinME seeing the XP partition?
    Also if I divide by two on each drive I may be cramped for space.
    Drive C:
    Description Local Fixed Disk
    Compressed No
    File System FAT32
    Size 28.61 GB (30,714,576,896 bytes)
    Free Space 15.60 GB (16,750,329,856 bytes)
    Volume Name LOCAL DISK
    Volume Serial Number 273F11E3

Drive D:
    Description Local Fixed Disk
    Compressed No
    File System FAT32
    Size 28.61 GB (30,714,593,280 bytes)
    Free Space 15.18 GB (16,302,325,760 bytes)
    Volume Name LOCAL DISK
    Volume Serial Number 273F11E3

4. angel

angel

If you would like to store files that you'd like to access in each OS (downloads, outlook pst file, whatever), then you'll just need to make sure to keep that partition as FAT32.
    How much do you ghost images compress? That would help determine how large those partitions need to be. Actually, do the ghost images need to be stored on their own partitions all by themselves or can you just throw them on any partition on the opposite drive?

5. Davey7549

Davey7549 Thread Starter

Angel
    At this point I have not given any thought of sharing any info between the two and I think I would prefer to have them as two separate systems. As far as Ghost compression the image reflects basically the same size from one drive to the other right after ghosting. I also would prefer to keep the ghost on opposite drives. Another thought would be purchasing a removable for the ghost drives. Any ideas there.
    Dave

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/60693

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice