1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

System Password Protection

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by dipchitblonde, Jul 24, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. dipchitblonde

dipchitblonde Thread Starter

I have W7, 64 bit blah blah blah. when I bought my system, I set it up with a password required in order to be able to sign into windows. can that be bypassed by, say, a computer repair person? I sent my computer in for repair which turned out to needing a mother board replacement. I realized after that diagnosis was made that I'd forgotten to mention nor supply them with the system sign on password.

thanks for your help.

2. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

A Windows password only applies a minimal level of security your account. A tech could certainly replace the motherboard without it. They can also probably reset the Administrator account password and log in with that if they want/need to. And from there they could change your account password and get into that as well.

Full drive encryption is the only way to protect your data.

3. Elvandil

Elvandil

As mentioned, the password will not be a problem. In all likelihood, it will be recovered and be the same when you get the machine back.

But your installation may be another thing. Have you discussed with them explicitly that you do not want your installation and data to be removed? We hear about a lot of people here who get machines back from "the shop" that have been completely erased and reinstalled.

4. dipchitblonde

I was just curious because I'd realized after it had already been in the shop for a few days that I had never given them that password, yet they supposedly were able to get into it enough to diagnose that the motherboard has failed and needs to be replaced. the system, hp pavillion p6320F desktop at 14 months old apparently has a bad motherboard, part# 573400-001, which I'm told by a 3rd party supplier that HP discontinued those because of a design flaw that causes them to fail. they are no longer available through hp.
    I dont have the pc specs available, but I can say its a windows 7, 64 bit with amd athalon quad core, 1T hd, 8 gigs ram
    it suddenly blackscreened while playing a rinky dink board game. it took numerous tries to get it to boot back up where the power light would come on but the machine was dead. once it did manage to boot up, it stays on for approximately 30-60 seconds before blackscreening again. (the power light still remains on). they said they managed to get it to boot up for 8 minutes - long enough to begin to run diagnostics but it failed before completion. claiming thru a process of elimination with part funcionality, it was determined as a motherboard failure. the motherboard ranges between 150-500$ per supply and demand, with the lower priced ones sold out. they said they found a (new) board for 260$ and are having it shipped.
    I am going in this afternoon to request letting me swap around the ram chips - just to make sure its not a chip failure, as recommended by a friend.
    I was also told by hp that swapping out the motherboard will likely present conflict in compatibility once hooked up and I will need to reinstall the operating system. SIGH

5. CompuClinicUT-JT

CompuClinicUT-JT

It takes me all of about 10 seconds to clear a password on our client machines when they loose them. That being said though, depending on what tools they are using, they may not need to get into Windows to do a hardware diagnosis.

6. dipchitblonde

yeah, I just went up and talked to him and he explained the same thing - that he didnt need to access windows to run a diagnostic. he also had a memory card laying on top of it that he'd told me he used to swap out mine to make sure that wasnt the cause, which I guess gave me confidence that he's being forthright with everything so I decided to proceed with replacing the motherboard despite bad reviews I've read. there's no other alternative other than to scrap a 14 month old system and buy a new one which would run around 800$ for something comparable...and 800$ this kid does not have. so I will bite the bullet, cough up the cash and pray for at least another year (or 2) while preparing to be able to invest in a better one when that time comes.

7. CompuClinicUT-JT

CompuClinicUT-JT

That stinks, but it happens unfortunately. My advice would be to avoid HP for the time being as their motherboards have some nasty manufacturing defects at the moment.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1009033

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice