1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

System powers off during boot

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by dagonpaul, Jul 7, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. dagonpaul

dagonpaul Thread Starter

Hey guys, got a problem, need some help.

My Dell PC has been shutting itself off during Windows Start Up.

This started happening a few weeks ago, windows and my start up applications would start loading, then all of a sudden it would shut down. Someone told me it could be one of a few things... fan problems and processor heating up and shutting down, RAM problems, powersupply, etc. So we played around. I had two RAM sticks in, one the original and one newer. When we took out the original the system worked normally. So i ran it for a couple weeks with one stick in with no problems. Just last night the same thing started happening. Windows would boot then while start ups were loading it would just shut down. I took out the remaining RAM and had it checked at a Comp USA. They said it tested 100% ok. So it doesnt seem like there is a problem with the memory.

Could this be the hardware (motherboard) related to memory? Or something completely different that we somehow mended the first time by removing the old memory stick??

Another piece to the puzzle is that both times this started happening were right after the computer had been moved from house to apartment... Could the problem be something was jiggled loose? It seems if that were the case it wouldnt boot up at all...

If anyone could help, I would greatly appreciate it. I am a graphic designer and have no system to work on now!

Thanks
    Paul

2. lehatche

lehatche

dagonpaul, My guess would be to check for bloated capacitors. if none are found I would try a new PSU (power supply).

3. dagonpaul

dagonpaul Thread Starter

Im not sure how to check for bloated capacators :-/

4. 17RiCkE17

17RiCkE17

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/481217

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice