System Problems

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

howard.a.s

This message relates to a problem which occurred earlier this evening with my Acer Aspire Model G600 PC.
I booted the system at around 4pm in order to print-off some information. the system all appeared to work just fine. I identified the folder containing the work that required printing and after identifying the exact files sent them to the printer for printing, where upon the black ink cartridge showed a low ink warning. I aborted the print and went off to find a new ink cart. Whilst getting the replacement ink cart I was asked to do some other things and as a consequence didn't get back to the PC for about 40 minutes. At this point there was a message on the screen saying that the chosen documents had failed to print (something that I have seen quite frequently before when changing ink carts, so I didn't think anything of it until I went to move the mouse. It seemed that the whole syatem had locked-up and there was no visible mouse pointer. I tried ALT CONTROL DELETE but even this didn't do anything, so I resorted to switching the entire system off, and then back on after about 15 seconds. As soon as the system powered up I noticed that the green light behind the ON button did not seem to be as bright, I think because there are more than one LED situated there, and maybe one or more are not lighting as usual (although I cannot confirm this). The system sounds to be starting, there is some limited hard-drive chatter and some of the normal sounds made by the DVD ROM and DVD-RW drives, but this all rapidly stops and the system just sits there doing nothing. The leds on the keyboard are all blinking on and off rapidly (something I have never seen before on this system). After a very short time (a few seconds after switch on, the led behind the ON button just goes off altogether!). There also appears no drive to the TFT display so I guess I can't get into BIOs.

I tried to think rationally, and so unplugged all USB and other devices from the unit, in case one of these was causing a fault. No luck.

Using an anti-static wrist strap, I removed any cards that I have added to the system over time from the expansion slots, in case one of these was causing the fault. No luck.

I disconnected all but the FDD and Hard Drive. No obvious improvement.

I tried replacing the PSU with a known working unit. No Luck.

DO I assume the thing I fear the most - that the motherboard is 'fried!'.
Or, is there something stupid that you know I am overlooking?

I cannot see a Makers name on the motherboard, but it does display the following - M7NCG VER.3.

the PC is a Pentium 4, with 512meg ram. If you feel that the main board is the problem, would I be able to replace the PCB, or would you replace the whole base unit? If I replace the board, should I also replace the Processor, as presumably this could be the problem. How can I tell? Am I able to purchase a motherboard with processor fitted, as I am not really confident about inserting a new processor onto a PCB.

Incidentally, I am not absolutely certain, but I am not aware of the system making any alarm beeps at boot-up. Is this relevant.

In other words.........HELP!!

Howard: The M7NCG is a Biostar motherboard and is an AMD board so it cannot use a Pentium 4 processor. You are reading something wrong.
Post your specs on this machine so we can try to diagnose your problem.

howard.a.s

Something told me that the processor was a pentium 4, but now i have had a rethink, I believe it is actually a AMD Athlon 2800. I know that the rest of the info relating to the amount of RAM etc. is correct. The mainboard has a onboard Nvidia processor, but I added a somewhat better spec. graphics card, a TV capture card, additional 4 socket USB card, all of which are currently removed. Does this help?

Howard: I don't think the motherboard or CPU is fried. Go into Device Manager and seee if you have any Yellow flags there. They usually indicate a lost or corrupted driver.
The fact that it shuts down suddenly may indicate a heat problem. Can you just run the computer with the side off and check that all the fans are running? Check the ones in the PSU too.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online