1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

System Problems

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by DeGS, Jul 9, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. DeGS

DeGS Thread Starter

Hey all. New to this site, but I'm at a loss as to what to do. Granted, I haven't really done anything but curse at my computer, but I digress.

I just got a new computer (had to sell everything, including the shirt off my back, to get it) and I've really had problem after problem with it. I'm an avid videogamer, and at the price I paid for this thing it should probably be playing the games for me. Most of the problems I have managed to fix have been caused by Vista, which leads me to believe most of the others I have yet to fix are as well.

First, my computer only detects 2304MB of memory. I realize this is caused by Vista having a 4gig cap, but is there any known workaround for this short of dual booting with XP? And would that even fix it?

Another problem is system performance. It just really doesn't seem to run as well as I would expect it to. Yeah, it can run games smoothly even on highest settings with little problem, but just sitting on the desktop running nothing has my computer eating up 40% of my RAM. I have no idea where it's going to; my task manager only shows 250MB top being used, so about 750MB is just kind of floating off into an abyss, I suppose. My thoughts on this would be another Vista problem, but I'm not sure.

Another problem, and I know it's not really fixable, is Vista compatibility. I know there's nothing I can really do for now, but in the meantime cursing at my computer seems to make me feel better, anyway.

HOWEVER, the biggest, most annoying problem I'm having with this computer, is a little chug every minute or so. It's really hard to explain, but the computer will be running relatively smoothly and then it will just jump, or freeze, or chug, or something (don't really know how to describe it) for a second or two. It then returns to normal operating. This happens in games, while listening to music, and just sitting on the desktop watching pixels dry. This doesn't seem like a big deal, but believe me, when I'm playing a game online and my computer skips right as someone is running around the corner in front of me, I'm not exactly happy.

I really have no idea what could be causing this. I'm not overclocking, my system specs are light years above what Vista requires, and I don't think my computer could be overheating (liquid cooling). If you need me to post more specs, a dxdiag, or anything like that, I'll gladly do so. I just really want to get this working :)

Regards, Rob

2. cfhpantera

cfhpantera

Where did you get this PC from? Could you provide a link?

3. DeGS

DeGS Thread Starter

It's an Alienware ALX.
    www.alienware.com

I do have free support from there but I generally have to sit on hold for ages, so in case the problem is simple enough to fix, I thought I'd check here first.

Something just dawned on me that the skips could be caused by system restore. I turned it off and reclaimed 100GB of disk space. I'll see if the skipping stops.

4. DeGS

DeGS Thread Starter

I'm still getting the skips/freezes after shutting off system restore. At least my disk space stopped disappearing, though. :rolleyes:

5. DeGS

DeGS Thread Starter

So, any ideas to fix the skipping? Everything else I can deal with, but these skips/freezes are just too annoying.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/593502

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice