1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

System problems

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Ashoemaker, Dec 31, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ashoemaker

Ashoemaker Thread Starter

I'm working on a Packard Bell Running Windows 98.
    This machine had been locking up multiple times while running various programs. I ran a virus checker on it and found 25 infected files with an 'APStrojan' virus. Many of these files had to be deleted. Among those files were 'Uninstallms, msdos98.exe, mine73.exe, mine.exe and multiple miXX.zip files'.
    After deleting these files I started having problems with the CD ROM player ( LITEOn Ltn301) the machine says the device is not ready when I place program type cd in it. When I place a music CD in the CDROM it will try and play the CD, but I have no sound. I'm not even sure what sound driver this thing has in it. I've tried reinstalling the cdrom driver, but it still doesn't seem to help. As far as the sound driver I've tried the XpressAUDIO¬ô 16 bit sound and that doesn't work.
    Any suggestions on my CD drive and sound card will be greatly appreciated.

2. alpha159

alpha159

It may be because the files that you deleted belonged to those device drivers. I would reinstall Windows and let it automatically reinstall your device drivers.

3. Alex Ethridge

Alex Ethridge

If that doesn't work, it may be because it is a proprietary CD-ROM drive. A lot of those old Packard Bells had those.

I have a few of those drivers here; but, you would have to identify it for me before I would know if I have yours.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/63627

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice