1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

System Process C:\Windows\System32\lsass.exe terminated unexpexctedly

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Aldinach, Jan 23, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Aldinach

Aldinach Thread Starter

Hi,

I'm trying to fix a problem with a friends computer and i'm a bit stumped. Here's what's going on.

He says he was downloading a bunch of stuff the day before the problem occured and now cannot start the computer. When the computer boots up, An error occurs while windows is starting. Here's the message:

I hit ok on that error and this error message then appears:

This same things occurs when i try to boot the machine into safe mode, so I am stuck. What should I do next?

2. norton850

norton850

Does your friend have any of the XP services packs (especially SP2) installed and is he/she running any antivirus programs.

3. Aldinach

Aldinach Thread Starter

Not sure about either since I can't really access anything. I'd assume there is antivirus installed but i don't know if he has been running it or if the virus definitions have been updated.

4. Aldinach

Aldinach Thread Starter

I guess my next step would be to use a boot cd to do some scanning with. Any other suggestions? And what is a good boot cd that can be used to help fix the problem?

5. norton850

norton850

I would bet there is all sorts of malware on that computer. You may want to follow these instructions and post the log with your problem in the Security Forum

Click HiJack This to download HJTsetup.exe
    Save HJTsetup.exe to your desktop.

•Double click on the HJTsetup.exe icon on your desktop.
    •By default it will install to C:\Program Files\Hijack This.
    •Continue to click Next in the setup dialogue boxes until you get to the Select Addition
    Tasks dialogue.
    •Put a check by Create a desktop icon then click Next again.
    •Continue to follow the rest of the prompts from there.
    •At the final dialogue box click Finish and it will launch Hijack This.
    •Click on the Do a system scan and save a log file button. It will scan and then ask you
    to save the log.
    •Click Save to save the log file and then the log will open in notepad.
    •Click on "Edit > Select All" then click on "Edit > Copy" to copy the entire contents of the
    log.
    •Paste the log in your next reply.
    •DO NOT have Hijack This fix anything yet. Most of what it finds will be harmless or
    even required.

6. Aldinach

Aldinach Thread Starter

I cannot get to point where I can run a program like HiJack This. The computer errors and restarts everytime I turn it on (safe mode or not). Is there a boot cd that you could recommend that would have the programs that I would need to diagnos and resolve the prblem that I am having.

7. Aldinach

Aldinach Thread Starter

8. norton850

norton850

You could probably use Bart PE or a linux set up like Knoppix. If you have a full Windows CD you could try a repair install. Another option might be to slave the HD in another system and run a scan there.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/537780

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice