System Processes Are Out of Hand

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

msdimwit

I presently have around 35 system processes starting on bootup. It seems the list is getting longer by the day and I'm sure my internet game-playing kids aren't helping. I'm running MS Windows XP Home Edition 2002 Service Pack 2.

One question in particular - does it seem peculiar to have six instances of "svchost.exe" (3-system, 2-network, 1-local) running simultaneously?

ALso, something called "DEVDET~1.EXE" showed up recently and I can't figure out what this does.

Anyone know a good source for a "typical" list of system processes?

Hi msdimwit,

Suggest getting kids own game-playing computer if you have any valuable items on your computer like taxes and other financial planning docs that you don't want to mysteriously disappear - and backing up would also help. Nothing like separation between games and valuable data to keep a computer up and running.

No, its not unusual to see 6 svchost.exe processes running which are instances of Generic Host Process for Win32 Services.

For a better tool to look at the processes than Task Manager, download Process Explorer (ProcExp) from: http://www.sysinternals.com
It will tell you the Company Name of the process, lets you kill any killable process, finds associated dlls pre process, shows process hierarchy relationships.

Don't know anything about "DEVDET~1.EXE" process, but ProcExp may be able to tell you more.

-- Tom

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online