1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

System Profile Folder Issue

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by wretched, Aug 2, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. wretched

wretched Thread Starter

Hello all,

It rarely ever gets to the point where I need to consult outside for PC related issues but here it goes..

I restarted my PC after doing a standard hard disk defrag, I when I got the vista load screen I noticed it was indeed slower than usual. After finally getting to the desktop I noticed only the recycle bin icon was present and the windows start menu was in "Classic" display mode. The error message popped up as following: C:\windows\system32\config\systemprofile\desktop could not be found The paragraph below instructed me to look for it manually on C:\ I quickly went to the SYS 32 folder and opened up the desktop folder and it was totally empty.

I already tried doing a system store via the start up disc (because I am unable to load any services while in the desktop) and it failed. Second thing attempted was the Vista CD's repair tool and it found no errors.

All my programs still show up on the drive but load very very slowly. Even surfing folders. results in a almost a 30 second wait.

Likewise, any services that require the manual security authorization fail because the security service itself is down. Attempting to access the system tools fails due to the same service error. I even tried opening REGEDIT.exe and it would not open.

I am totally clueless, I don't have any backups and the last thing I want to do is a full Windows clean install. It seems without that desktopfolder no services will run and the PC is barely usable.

I Was unable to generate a HIJACK THIS report because the PC is now unable to load from flash drives. Hopefully I have explained this problem in reasonable detail.

Thanks!

BTW I believe this is the first time I restarted the PC after shutting down services recommended by blackviper.com. I am not 100% sure if this was my only restart. Perhaps this had something to do with it!

2. wretched

wretched Thread Starter

Any ideas :-/

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!